ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753316 Members
5160 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Installing two PCIe cards in DL160 Gen8; shouldn't this work?

Hace
Frequent Visitor

Installing two PCIe cards in DL160 Gen8; shouldn't this work?

Hi,

EDIT: Short story even shorter: is it possible to install a P420 RAID controller to expansion slot 2 on a DL160 Gen8 server if a 530SFP+ is installed in expansion slot 1 and the FlexibleLOM slot is also populated.

Long story short:

Is it possible to install both

• a 530SFP+ 10G card in the rear 16x PCIe slot (HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+ Adapter)
  • and a Smart Array P420 internal RAID adapter in the internal 8x PCIe slot (HP Smart Array P420/1GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports Int SAS Controller)

in a DL160 Gen8 without using the FlexibleLOM slot (which is already in other use).

Both cards are/can be low profile and half length (right...) so don't see a reason why not in the Quickspec but if someone actually knows, I'd really appreciate an opinion!

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Re: Installing two PCIe cards in DL160 Gen8; shouldn't this work?

P420 requires a ton of cool air to keep it from overheating, I'd only suggest using it where it is recommended in the user guide slot reference only. Otherwise check out the P430 which replaces the "hot" nature of the P420 with something cooler running :)

I'd not worry about the speed, more so the cooling than anything! and cable length to run the wiring!

THE NC530sfp is quite a bit bigger card than the p420