1753719 Members
4764 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrated B120i Firmware version

bsmithuk
Frequent Visitor

Integrated B120i Firmware version

Hi, we have a ProLiant ML310e Gen8 v2 server (SKU 724160-035.) We're having a few minor issues with some new SSDs we have added to the onboard RAID controller (Smart Array B120i SATA RAID in Embedded Slot) and thought it might be worth checking the firmware version.

The HP SSA report shows:

RAM Firmware Revision: 6.00

ROM Firmware Revision: empty

Hardware Revision: 0x04

Is this the latest firmware available? I know we are running the latest RAID drivers in the OS, but I'm having trouble finding any RAID firmware listings in the HPE Support Center.

If it's relevant, the system BIOS version reported by the OS is "HP P78, 01/09/2013", Embedded Controller Version 1.32.

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You should first install a newer BIOS, current is version 2018.05.21.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5379533&swItemId=MTX_b2fafbe254ef411fb864c825c9&swEnvOid=4184#tab-history

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
bsmithuk
Frequent Visitor

Hi Torsten, thanks very much for your reply. It sounds like the RAID controller firmware comes from the BIOS then?

I have had a look at the Revision History on that page and can't see any mention of RAID or storage controller in the versions between the one we have and the latest version. Given that this is on our main server, I'd ideally like to know that this contains a RAID update before going ahead. Do you know if this update has a higher RAID firmware version than 6.00?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bsmithuk wrote:

Hi Torsten, thanks very much for your reply. It sounds like the RAID controller firmware comes from the BIOS then?

Correct, the B120i firmware is part of the System ROM update. The 'B' series array controllers are chipset SATA controllers. The RAID functionality is actually provided by the OS driver and not the controller itself.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Exactly. Thanks for clarification.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
bsmithuk
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that. Does anyone know if the newer BIOS version has a new RAID version inside? I couldn't see anything in the Release Notes or Revision History.

PS4
HPE Pro

What happens if we replace the Systemboard? do we need to install fress OS and loose the data?

I am a HPE Employee