3943 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrated Lights-Out ROM Flash Update

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi

What happens if you use the firmware upgrade diskette and do the FW upgrade locally on the server by booting off this floppy?

Regards
Jan Schulenburg

Can't tell now, the server is now used by users. Is it only the firmware which is updated? Can't i update the firmware by using the ILO web console.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Jan:

yes, get the "firmware upgrade image" and do it via the web UI. The reference to a kernel driver (and the error code) are not coming back from DOS/Windows but rather from the embedded OS.
Jan Schulenburg

I updated the ILO via the web interface and it was succesful. The advance of updating via de ILO web interface over Insight Manager is that the new version is automatically activated, and if updated via Insight Manager a reboot of the machine is needed (correct me if i'm wrong).
Stefan Holzhausen
Frequent Advisor

Hello,
When a previous integrated lights-out online rom flash upgrade for windows had prematurely stopped (e.g. possibly due to a system crash or the user stopping the task in task manager before it completes), then it has been seen that registry entries referring to "cpqifsd" exist and which appear to cause the above issue (these entries are written and removed during a successfully completed fw upgrade).

One way to resolve this issue was to remove the registry entries, reboot the system and then proceed with the intended online fw update.
As the previous entry suggests, the fw update via the ilo web interface would allow to do this without the reboot, however this would be specific to the above described scenario of a previously failed upgrade. In the intended normal scenario, there is also no reboot required after the online fw update procedure.

Question remains whether the online fw upgrade application can we modified to check for those "ghost registry entries" and to work around this issue.

Hope this helps some users?!

Best regards,
Stefan
Milosz Kedziora_1

Error: Could not Install CPQIFSD.SYS Kernel Driver (errcode=8)

error still apears and there is no right answer around... ????

current and next firmware version doesn't matter, problem is with that CPQIFSD.SYS and Windows (Win 2000 std)

i hope someone will help
Kevin Kultgen

I was getting this error. I found 2 registry keys referencing CPQIFSD.SYS, deleting them didn't improve the situation. However I noted that they were pointing to my temp directory. I repointed them to my desktop (where I had extracted the softpaq including CPQIFSD.SYS). I then re-ran the setup and it completed successfully.