ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753546 Members
5744 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrated Management Log Error

Chris Meacham_2

Integrated Management Log Error

Hi - All of the sudden, we are seeing the following message in the IML - do you think it has to do with the hard drives themselves, the array card or the drive cage itself that is failing:

Internal Storage System Overheating (Slot 4, Zone 1, Location Storage, Temperature Unknown). Severity is Repaired - but this has been happening about once a minute. The stopped on Sunday, but had been going for a couple of days.

Last week the drives did shut down because it got too hot - we have extra air blowing on server for now, but I'm concerned this is part of a bigger problem..

Compaq Server is a Proliant ML350G1 - Raid 220 controller with 4 18.2GB 10K Ultra Wide SCSI 2 drives.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

My best guess here is that either something has changed in the environment (a/c getting shut off, server moved to a new location/rack, etc). Or the fan cooling the drive cage is starting to fail.

You mentioned that you have extra air blowing on the server...did that fix the problem? If so I would be more inclined to think it is the fan. For grins I would make sure the server is up to date on PSP/Firmware, but if it has been working fine this is not likely to fix it.
Chris Meacham_2

It appears that the error has not come back since 8.1.05 - 5:00PM EST.

I'll leave the fan there for a couple more days and see what happens - thanks for your help!
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Is this happening in the IML only or do the Insight agents report the same thing?
andre.mostert
Advisor

You can also try and update the firmware on the server. New firmware might have a fix for speeding up the fans before the server overheats. Load the latest HP support software too.

Also make sure that there is anough space behind the server so that the fan can get rid of the hot air.

Cheers

Andre
Chris Meacham_2

Thanks to all that helped out with this - I apologize for the delay, but it seems that it could have possibly been just an overheating issue - I have a fan blowing right on the drives and haven't had a complaint since the beginning... Will do firmware updated this weekend!