3976 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Intelligent Provisioning and Server 2012R2 from USB

GrahamElder
Occasional Advisor

Intelligent Provisioning and Server 2012R2 from USB

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard from USB via Intelligent Provisioning on a brand new DL380 Gen9.

The documentation states that IP can only read FAT32 formatted USB drives, but the ISO for Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard which I have from Microsoft MVLS is 5.24GB and has individual files larger than can fit on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. The drive therefore needs to be formatted as NTFS.

I don't have a DVD drive to plug in, and setting up a network share is as useless as trying to get the USB working.

Is there a straightforward solution to allowing Intelligent Provisioning to be able to read NTFS formatted USB drives? Otherwise its a very big omission where an OS such as Windows Server cannot be installed from USB in this way.

I'm amazed that the latest generation of HP business servers are affected by such a short-sighted flaw.

Graham

22 REPLIES 22
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hello,

One straight forward solution is to skip IP and install OS directly.

For OS image files that cannot copy to the USB unless it is NTFS-formatted, use a different source media, such as a DVD, network share, or FTP server.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JohnsITSvcs

One has to wonder if 

Raffis

I have the same problem with Windows 2016.  Files are too big to fit on USB formated in fat32, but Inteligent Provisioning can not read NTFS and extFAT system. It is really stupid. To spend so many hours to install the system.

Raffis

Deb_Blue

Use either Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-tool-Installer or the HP USB Key Utility for Windows to create your bootable USB drive.. works for both win2012 R2 and Win2016

0ST0LA

Hello everyone.

I had the same issue, but I tried to install the Operating System using the Integrated Remote Console, following the same steps and it works.

AlanLive
Occasional Visitor

i had the same issue too. your intergrade remote console izzit mean iLo?

AlanLive
Occasional Visitor

Finally the issue solve by using iLo intergrated remote console - then go to virtual drive map iso to image file to CD/DVD-ROM.

Next reboot to Intelligent Provisioning and select OS deployment - select image drive from iLO next follow the instruction and finally it work. 

Thanks OSTOLA

Barren23
Occasional Advisor

Finally the issue solve by using iLo intergrated remote console - then go to virtual drive map iso to image file to CD/DVD-ROM.

The only problem with this is that you need an ILO license in order to utilize the virtual media feature... ugh, this is so annoying.  I'm going to end up loading off the USB directly after booting, which makes driving loading a huge pain.

Why haven't they allowed NTFS formatted USB drives in the Intelligent Provisionsing?

thutchings
HPE Pro

IP 2.60 (and later) allows for the use of exFAT. This provides many of the features of NTFS without the security features. NTFS has some driver requirements which do not always work consistently, so have never been supported with any version of Intelligent Provisioning.

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008862660&swItemId=MTX_77b94511492441a08eb272ed27&swEnvOid=4231#tab1

Thanks,

Terry

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo