1748183 Members
3592 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Intelligent Provisioning and Server 2012R2 from USB

MattColburn
Occasional Visitor

I had the same issue with my new DL380 Gen 9 when trying to install Server 2012 Standard R2.

Tried my normal installation methods that work on every other server: creating a bootable USB drive with rufus. Intelligent Provisioning never found it. Tried skipping IP and booting directly to the USB. No luck. 

Updated USB Firmware, tried legacy BIOS boot, made an exFAT32 USB disk, tried to use HPE's USB KEY Utility for Windows to create a bootable USB. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I finally got "Intelligent" Provisioning to recognize a network share on my FreeNAS box. Plugged in my IP address, domain info, and credentials, and wonder of wonders, my .iso appeared.  It didn't install as quickly as it would have using a USB drive, but after five hours of not installing at all, I didn't care. 

Yiddam

They will not complicate life there is so easy to install with a usb is best to use the dvd that came with the computer and a simple reader. :)

No se compliquen la vida no hay modo Facil de instalar con una usb lo mejor es usar el dvd que viene con el equipo y un simple lector. :)

wooju
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Did anyone find a solution? I was able to install windows from the usb stick (using an iso file) on dl360 gen8 servers and some of the ealrier gen 9, but now for a while i can't. It sees the drive but not the ISO file on it. I tried formating the drive using different file formats, but it made no difference.

Can somebody assist please?

alinnesilva

Install with iLo intergrated remote console - then go to virtual drive map iso to image file to CD/DVD-ROM, like AlanLive said. It works for me.

wooju
Occasional Contributor

I know it can be done using an ilo, but it is a lot of "faffing" around in my enviroment. What is the point of having a feature if it doesn't work? 

I may open a case with HP to see what they have to say about it...

Zuka007
Visitor

Hello,

Seems to me like an IP version issue rather than IP not supporting NTFS formatted USB sticks as previously mentionned.

I only experienced this issue on version 2.50 of IP for our ML350 GEN9 servers but it was not an issue with IP version 2.30 and IP version 2.61(latest available version at present) therefor you can always update your Intelligent Provisioning with the latest version. To update/flash your IP to the latest version you will need the latest IP ISO for your model and the HP USB Key Utility for Windows.

You can download the HP USB Key Utility for Windows at: https://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008862658&swItemId=MTX_360731071b404454b454390208&swEnvOid=4168#tab1

*Alternatively, you can also use this same tool to simply create a bootable USB with Windwos 2012R2 if you don't want to use IP to deploy your OS to your server.

I also would like to confirm as many have already pointed out, that it is also possible to connect to your server via iLO and mount a virtual drive via the remote console to the Win2012R2 ISO and then boot to IP and select CD-ROM(iLO virtual media) as the OS source. Unlike what a previous user commented,  you can actually use this methode even if you don't have a fully licensed version of iLO. Note that once the OS is installed you will no longer be able to use the remote connection feature in iLO until you activate a license for it but you can certainly use it to initially install your OS. Clearly, the person who commented on needing a licensed version of iLO simply didn't try it. 

Hope this helps someone

corrigun

I know this is old but we just bought a G10 and unlike on my G7's, 8's and 9's none of these solutions work.

I have tried the HP USB tool from v 1.8 to 3.0. None will read an iso of any kind. Linux or Windows.
I have tried 3rd party USB tools but the server does not recognize any of them as bootable media.
I have tried iL0 but all virtual media is disabled without a license. I can provide a screenshot if this is in dispute.
I'm not setting up a network share and hope I can map it from iLO to install an O/S on a $7000 server. This is nuts.

I'm trying the Windows7 tool now and after that a high capacity DVD. That will be the last stop before sending this back to my rep.

EDIT: Windows7 USB tool does work.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I have tried the HP USB tool from v 1.8 to 3.0.

To create an USB from which ISO?

The USB tool (current version is 3.00) is used to create a bootable USB from SPP or IP ISO.

It expects several configuration settings stored in a file inside the ISO, hence it will not work with any ISO.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Leaner
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I have HP DL560 Gen 9 Server. I am trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 using Bootable USB Drive. After boots, its giving the error that "Windows Cannot find tjhe Micrsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation".

Please help me to solve this issue.

PeteLong
Occasional Advisor

I had this very problem today, I can confirmthe ILO and ExFAT approaches were both sucessful;

HP Intelligent Provisioning Cant See USB Media?

Regards,

Pete