ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753769 Members
5096 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Intelligent Provisioning not seeing esxi 6.0 iso on either USB or CD - DL385p Gen8 like to insta

John_841
Occasional Contributor

Intelligent Provisioning not seeing esxi 6.0 iso on either USB or CD - DL385p Gen8 like to install

Cannot install Esxi 6.0 ISO using Intelligent Provisioning error out on a FAT formated 4GB USB is that the /mount/USB/VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-HP-600.9.3.30.2-Jun2015.iso is seen by HP Intelligent Provisioning but when 'double click' on the ISO file nothing happens except the USB flash drive blinks.

I tried a CD 'cannot find media'. Tested that ISO is good and it decompresses okay.

I've used Maintanence to update iLo and Broadcom nic to linux drivers fine.  ROM A28 9/3/2014

I could bypass Intelligent Provisioning and just boot from CD or USB but why is this not working?

Box is a DL385 Gen8, 32GB, 2 AMD CPUs, P420i.

Cheers,

Out

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Intelligent Provisioning not seeing esxi 6.0 iso on either USB or CD - DL385p Gen8 like to insta

Not exactly sure what you have done ...

Maybe this helps?

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05063275

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_92905cf55d98410db79f25c2ac#tab3

It works without IP, however, check if your IP version is 1.62b.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't think you can use the raw ISO image. You can mount the ISO over iLO virtual Media, but other than that you need to burn the ISO to physical media  be it a CD or USB key

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
John_841
Occasional Contributor

Hi, What I have done is download the recommended ISO 'VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-Update1-3380124-HPE-600.9.4.5.11-Jan2016.iso' and burned it to a CD, as a bootable CD.

Then using the Intelligent Provisioning choosen Operating System = VMwareEsxi/ and select from CD (choosing the bootable CD)...but it comes back with an error "Unable to find any valid media". I cansee it is reading the CD from the activity.

I have also tried format FAT 4GB and expanded the ISO files onto USB drive but Intelligent Provisioning looks for an ISO.

I copied the ISO to the FAT 4GB USB and it saw the ISO but double click on the ISO and nothing happends.

As mentioned ..I can just boot from the server from the CD or USB and by-pass Intelligent Provisioning but I like to know why?

Cheers,

Out

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Please see the instruction PDF I posted earlier.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

John_841
Occasional Contributor

Torsten, great links, thanks. Now to ge that register the esx trial.

Yep it would work without Intelligent Provisioning but I just wanted to know why it would not install from the USB or CD that I'd prepared. I like the Provisioning and especially update before install when I have the time.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I still don't know if this was the correct way to provide the ISO ... maybe I did not understand your procedure ...

However, according to the release notes IP for Gen8 systems doesn't support ESXi higher then 5.1 or something ... (look up the IP 1.62B release notes).

The instructions I sent you don't mention IP at all ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.