ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753522 Members
7015 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Intelligent provisioning does not start...

DarkWitte

Intelligent provisioning does not start...

Hi there,

we have a new DL380p Gen8 Server and i try to install it, but the Intelligent Provisioning does not start after pressing F10.

The server permanently wants to boot from c: (no OS installed) and then starts PXE Boot.

When the PXE timed out I can press F10 for Intelligent Provisioning and the same sequence starts (loop...)

I have flashed the Intelligent Provisioning to version (HPIP130.2012_1005.167) but at the next boot there was the same

HPIP does not start.

Any Idea what is wrong?

18 REPLIES 18
JWily2
Occasional Advisor

That's a shame that you have not gotten a reply on your delimna.  I can be of no assistance as Ive dealt with a similar problem for several days on a Proliant Microserver.  When I try and load the Smart Start to the USB drive from a flash key, the POST boots then PXE mode while it continues to say "No media detected".  It will run through the same message for about twenty minutes before it finally will stop.(Most of the time I'll just manually power down the machine).  I understand from my research that making the flash key bootable is a necessary step.  This I've tried using the "disksplit" command prompt process.  I've also attempted making the flash key bootable by running the "HPdisk key bootable utility" and adding the Proliant RomPaq file to the flash key before booting machine.  The message that I get then is Bootmgr is Missing.  Thirdly when I try doing just a straight install of the Server 2008r2 OS from the configured flash keys the message that I get is Operating System is Not Reckognized.  The other option that I've attempted is using the "HP Disk Key Utility" to load the ISO of both Smart Start and the MS 2008 OS to my drive key but the application doesn't allow me to but instead says "ISO is not a supported file type"..or something.  It's been my novice attempt at this.  If someone has a remedy, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Disk Key Bootable Utility manual is attached fyi....   

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

During 1st boot there is an option to disable Intelligent Provisioning. I'm not sure that if this option is selected that the F10 prompt disappears (as I've actually never tried disabling it). Is it possible this was selected accidentally?  I'll have to check with the HPIP team to see if there is a procedure to re-enable

UPDATE: Even when intelligent Provisioning is disabled, the F10 prompt will still appear. Instead of showing F10 Intelligent Provisioning it shows F10 Function Disabled. When disabled if you press F10 the F10 icon turns red. To re-enable you must go into RBSU and reset to factory default.

If you system is not showing the function disabled, when you press F10 does the F10 icon fill in with a white background when you press the key?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

JWily2, The HP Microserver does not have Intelligent Provisioning, nor is Smart Start compatible with the product. If you need to Install Windows 2008 from a USB key, you need a tool from Microsoft. The tool is called "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool" and will take a Windows 7 / Server 2008 .ISO image and put it on a USB drive key.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

JWily2
Occasional Advisor

Jimmy Vance- Thank you for the response.  I'll try your suggestion.  Fingers Crossed!!

JWily2
Occasional Advisor

Ok, so I loaded the Windows USB/DVD utility to a clean flash drive, followed the dialogue box set up instructions to copy the .ISO Windows Server 2008r2 to the flash drive. Once the software loaded, I removed the USB drive from my home PC and inserted into my new Proliant Microserver.  During RBSU after POST a display message says:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows Installation disk and restart your computer.

2. Choose the language settings and then click "next".

3. Click "Repair your Computer".

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance

File : \Boot\BCD

Info:An error ocurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I've made sure that the USB drive has first boot priority when I click F10 during RBSU.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

if you don't have any media attached to the microserver and boot do you get the same boot error message? What your reporting sounds like the error message you would see with a failed hard disk installation

JWily2
Occasional Advisor

I've performed no hard disk installation. The front panel has never been opened.  The only attempts at installing the operating system have been  from using several  usb keys.  The first attempt was after speaking to a HP representative who suggested trying HP key drive utility however the iso would not load onto the USB using that application.  Then various other ways to make the USB bootable have been tried but none to any avail. If no media is inputted into any of the drives as your question eluded to then the screen goes into PXE after POST and displays the repetitive message PXE failed to reckognize media(or something like that).  The message that I described in my prior post only has begun since I used the USB key via the Windows 7 download that you suggested. I've inquired on various forums here and on MS support yet don'e know where to procede.  Thanks for input.

Dave73
Regular Advisor

Have you tried to boot any other machines with the usb key to confirm that it works ?

JWily2
Occasional Advisor

Negative.  I've only one machine that has no operating system, that being the Microserver.  If I were to try and boot my home laptop for example, since it already has Windows 7, II suspect that it'll simply bypass any Server 2008 install screens and go straight to the regular Windows 7 logo sreen.