4596 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Interconnect two blades enclousure for cluster heart bit

WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

Interconnect two blades enclousure for cluster heart bit

Hi
I have four blades enclousure.The customer want set the clusters nodes in different enclousure.

My question are:
How I do to connect the enclousure A to B to C to D.Is necessary a heart bit between nodes cluster , so how I interconnect the enclousure to warrant that the Heart bit always be present.

Some document will be appreciate , of course comments too.

Thank you

W.S
rperez
5 REPLIES 5
raadek
Honored Contributor

There is nothinhg like enclosures heartbeat!

For your purpose you need to provide a network connection between two (or more) cluster nodes, i.e. blade servers.

If you use embedded switches (that's the common case) then you need to create separate VLANs for approperiate ports representing heartbeat links to make sure they can 'talk' to each other (and nothing else).

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

Is necessary to make some pjysical connection between enclousures?

rperez
raadek
Honored Contributor

There is a special cable for daisy-chaining management modules on each enclosure - but it has nothing to do with your 'regular' network traffic.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

Back in the installed cisco switch in the blades enclousures there are 4 gigabit out 19,20,21,22 in the side A and B .Two of these four port are connected to the giga network ,

I must connect all these port to the network and then make the Vlans for the heart bits?

rperez
Connery
Trusted Contributor

William,
You don't necessary have to connect more cables. There are two ways to do it.

1. Assign a specific VLAN for heartbeat traffic. Then VLAN tag the existing uplinks from the Cisco blade switches and configure the upstream switches for this same VLAN. Do this to all uplinks for all blade enclosures that need access to this heartbeat VLAN. Then, assign the blade switch port connected to the heartbeat NIC to this heartbeat vlan (command on the switch interface would be "switchport access vlan ")

2. Directly connect two enclosures with a cable from one blade switch to another blade switch. Configure the interconnected blade switch ports for the heartbeat VLAN.Then, assign the blade switch port connected to the heartbeat NIC to this heartbeat vlan (command on the switch interface would be "switchport access vlan ").

Regards,
-sean