1753789 Members
7561 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Intermittent Server Hangs - DL360

Mpett1
Occasional Advisor

Yes buy a service contract!!! That is how you will get the support you are asking. Also I think the issue is with the storage driver. Upgrade to the latest version.

Later
Tom Parker_1
Advisor

Much cheaper to replace the motherboard on older systems than buy service contract. Motherboard replacement resolves this issue. Seems to be a HUGE defect in this model since I have now replaced 6 of them.

LATER MUCH!
Mpett1
Occasional Advisor

Thats not what you asked!! You asked what it would take to get HP's attention to this issue and the answer is to buy a service contract!! The servers are way out of warranty and that would be the only way. You did do the correct thing and get some of your own parts for replacement. That is what I would of done...
Jon Rowlan_1

If anyone at Compaq/HP cares...

I used to buy Compaq because of reliability and longevity.

Until I came across the DL360.

had 4 of these now ... replaced all components except the motherboard. (you could be justified in asking why I didn't stop at the second or third I suppose :-) )

There is an inherrant fault/design flaw somewhere and short of buying a very expensive service contract (where you will get provided with a working replacement) you will not get a sensible reply from anyone at HP.

After two failed in a mission crititcal environments I chucked them all under the workbench.

So if anyone is after new component parts for these ... I have loads except of course the motherboards which are (to put it politely) expired.

This problem is not just related to the one model of M. Brd. I have had three different versions and 3 different CPU speed models at that !

the ONLY fix is to replace the motherboard and HP may well have a fixed version. If not then expect the same problems again later on.

jON
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

I am having a similar issue. One of our DL360s would lose its drives intermittantly. Reboot and they would occasionally come back on line. Now, the machine will NOT spin up the drives. I've tested with other good drives, they won't spin up either. They get power but never seem to receive a start command.

Have you seen this?
Tom Parker_1
Advisor

This is the classic symptom. Replace your mohterboard and the problem will magically go away (at least until the new motherboard starts acting up).
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

Thanks, I found some other references regarding "newer" DL360 main boards... how can I tell the "rev" number and whether or not a newer rev will be better? Also, any good luck with any suppliers of these boards?

Thanks.
Jon Rowlan_1

Now details of the revision of a fixed moptherboard would be good !

At least I can be sure that when I buy a board I can be sure its gonna work.

Maybe I can use all those old dl360's I have.

An official word from HP on this would help .... ???

jON
Tom Parker_1
Advisor

I have had good luck buying used motherboards from serverworlds.com. I don't know anything about revision numbers. I have talked to HP about this on three occassions and they claim there is no problem (ha ha). As someone stated earlier in the thread, if you had a service contract, they would probably take it more seriously but who has a service contract on such an old machine?
Jay23
Occasional Advisor

anyone come up with a official solution to this, I now have two 360's that are behaving this exact way. If it is the MB does anyone know a good place to get replacments?

Thanks