1753758 Members
4541 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Internal IDE CDROM in Redhat 7.1

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Internal IDE CDROM in Redhat 7.1

Well managed to finally download all the ISO's of Redhat 7.1.

Going to try updating to 2.4.3 later..

Switching a bunch of clone pc's that have been running Linux in our environment for years over to Compaq hardware. (All of our other servers are Compaq)

The whole install worked great, I don't use X windows so I don't know if all that is ok under 7.1 and the DL360.

Smart Array controller is awesome under linux btw.

My problem is this:

I cannot mount any CD from console.

I get a HDC: Driver not present when I try to issue a mount command on /dev/cdrom (which points to HDC).

Am I missing something simple here? I checked /var/log/dmesg and it looks like the kernel names the CDROM out on the IDE channel even with a compaq name in it.

Thanks Compaq for supporting the Linux community! Now not only will our servers have yearly uptimes, but we wont have to worry about hardware failure now.

Oh I don't know if I can sneek this question in also while I am thinking about it, with the Smart 2 on the DL360 if I am doing hardware mirroring (2 - 9 gig drives), later can I do like I do under Novell or NT and replace each drive 1 at a time with a larger, lets say 18 gig, then when its done re-mirroring replace the last drive with an 18 gig, then setup another partition in fdisk to use the new space as another mount point under linux?

Thanks again!
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Internal IDE CDROM in Redhat 7.1

Well stupid me, I reacted to quickly.. I figured out the CDROM problem.

I would still like someone to answer the question about replacing the drives with bigger drives.

The default configuration of the kernel for redhat 7.1 install for whatever reason the module for ide-cd.o was not working.

I downloaded kernel 2.4.3 and reconfiged and recompiled and everything is fine now with mounting CDs.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I don't have an answer to your re-mirroring question, but was wondering if you could help me. I'm trying to install Red Hat 7.1 on a ProLiant DL360 server and it hangs after I select to install in graphical mode, right after inloading the compaq disk array driver.

Any ideas? dfleith@adacorp.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

try to pass to the kernel:
append=noacpi
so you don't have craqsh anymore