ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745847 Members
4355 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Internal Storage Controller Overheating ( Temperature Sensor 3 , Location Storage , Slot 0)

Borwen
Occasional Visitor

Internal Storage Controller Overheating ( Temperature Sensor 3 , Location Storage , Slot 0)

I now have multiple ML350e Gen 8 Servers that are coming up with this error and a amber light on the front of the case ( amber light flashing on health light ) Tech support has had me upgrade frimware did not stop issue. Now looking at replacement of mother boards as in a lot. Does any one have a better solution. I have sent in event logs to HP tech But I am looking at even more and these are brand new out of box

6 REPLIES 6
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: Internal Storage Controller Overheating ( Temperature Sensor 3 , Location Storage , Slot 0)

hi,

Please be sure that you have the latest BIOS version.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5272973&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_6dfde4894b4a4da696aef6cfac%257CswEnvOID%253D4024%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vig...

Do You have some PCI cards installed in the server. Can you attach the IlO IML log here. Are you using the onboard controller?

thanks,

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Borwen
Occasional Visitor

Re: Internal Storage Controller Overheating ( Temperature Sensor 3 , Location Storage , Slot 0)

Both the ILO 4 and bios have been flashed with the same results as in amber lights on the front But Thank you

IT-Gus
Occasional Visitor

Did you ever get a viable solution for this?  I have a system that is doing almost the same thing, the only difference is that is shows repaired immediately after the overheating message as follows:

EVENT (20 Jul 09:36): Internal Storage Controller Overheating (Temperature Sensor 3, Location Storage, Slot 0)

Integrated Management Log Severity: CAUTION

EVENT (20 Jul 09:36): Internal Storage Controller Overheating (Temperature Sensor 3, Location Storage, Slot 0)

Integrated Management Log Severity: REPAIRED

I get one or two of these per day.  It does not affect the health flag as it shows as repaired.  anyway just wondering how/if you got it corrected or are living with it.

ITNW
Occasional Collector

I am having the same issues. The IML is filled with these alerts which acknowledge themselves:

Internal Storage Controller Overheating (Temperature Sensor 3, Location Storage, Slot 0)

There is no Sensor 3 that appears anywhere in the iLO under Temperature or in the SMH for Cooling.

Also In my case my Smart Array B120i Cache Module Status goes yellow and is permanently disabled. After a reboot it appears to come up and then dies again. HP tech has been called out to replace the cache module but I fear it will just happen again.

I am running the latest and greatest firmware and drivers on W2K12: SPP_2013.09.0-0_744345-001

Endre Ligeti
Visitor

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue on a ProLiant DL380p Gen8. We have number of other servers with the same or similar configuration, but ony this one is affected. It looks like some kind of bug (or hardware error), because in Windows event logs I can see the following message every time I receive an iLO alert mail:

Array controller P420i [Embedded] has reported that its internal temperature has exceeded the preset limit of 65тЦСC. The current temperature is 255тЦСC as reported by sensor number 4. The controller may attempt to shut down power and/or spin down installed disk drives.

iLO AlertMail:

EVENT (27 Jan 18:22): Internal Storage Controller Overheating (Temperature Sensor 5, Location Storage, Slot 0)

When I check Temperatutes in the System Information tab in iLO4, I can see no higher values than 85C. The sensor named "25-HD Controller" which (I assume) is the embedded P420i is only 70C, far less then the caution level (100C).

The server have only one CPU socket populated, with 4 DIMMs and an additional P420 controller. Both storage controllers are in use.

I tried the following with no success:

• Update BIOS and firmwares
  • Update Windows drivers
  • Update every installed HP management utility
  • Completely shutdown the server (even the power cords were disconnected for a few minutes)

May I start an RMA process or do you have any other idea, how to permanently and reliable get rid of this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Endre LIGETI

Endre Ligeti
Visitor

It looks like we had a faulty hardware, because only the system board replacement solved the issue.