ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752788 Members
6131 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is APC Back-UPS ES 750 compatible with HP ml350 G6 server?

wuitsung
Advisor

Is APC Back-UPS ES 750 compatible with HP ml350 G6 server?

I got HP ml350 G6 server, this model has 460 Watt Power Supply. I would like to know if it's compatible, if not, could anyone please tell me why?
The actual model is here :
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-241434-241646-241477-3884315-3922634-4151434.html

APC Back-UPS ES 750:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=be750bb

Thank you.
31 REPLIES 31
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

750VA is small for a ML350 G6. I would go with 2kVA UPS. You can switch cords to work with it.
wuitsung
Advisor

Thank you. If I still want to go with APC Back-UPS ES 750, will that cause any problem?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would not recommend using this with the ML350 G6. It will likely not be able to keep the server running if there is a power outage. If you go with an APC UPS I would recommend a Smart UPS be the lowest end model be used.

According to APC when you have a server with Power Factor Correction power supplies installed:
"In any of these situations, APC recommends that a true, pure sine wave, server class UPS be use" - not a low end UPS, such as the one you recommend.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/RMUZ-7DTKRC_R1_EN.pdf
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
wuitsung
Advisor

>>It will likely not be able to keep the server running if there is a power outage.

Regardless the above situation, will there be any problem such as server shut down unexpectedly? if it will cause that problem, can you explain why?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Yes, the server will likely not be able to stay running if a power failure occurred. The power supplies in this server require higher regulation of the power getting to them. The power supplies by the UPS you are asking about is sufficient for it to run, but when the initial power outage occurs the server will shut down because it cannot provide the correct current during the time it is switching from AC power to battery power.

Please read the doc on APC's site.
wuitsung
Advisor

Actually this was not my question.... I was saying if we don't care about the power outage, and I just plug my server to the UPS.
will that cause any problem to the server?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I will not hurt the server.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

What is your goal with the ES 750? It is a workstation level backup. Why do you want such a small UPS on a file server? What does the server do? How long does management want it up and running? Will the UPS also handle any other hardware like switches, routers, firewalls, monitor, KVM?
wuitsung
Advisor

It's for my home office. Since the down time not critical and it's still working, so I just didn't think of buying another one. Actually, why I am posting my question here is that my server shut down from time to time unexpectedly. I checked windows event viewer and didn't find anything wrong. Also I run the smart cd diag for almost whole day and didn't find any problem. And there was no power outage during that time as well. So I am just wondering if UPS is the root of the problem....