ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7219 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is APC Back-UPS ES 750 compatible with HP ml350 G6 server?

Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

Several of us have fought the ML350 G6 power supplies and UPSs. The issue is the type of output, more that the size. Check out this forum...maybe start at the bottom of the thread. Those of us posting have good experience with the 9000 series Eaton, or Higher end APC.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML350-G6-UPS-issues/m-p/4548907#M97605

Good Luck.

wuitsung
Advisor

Thank you for your reply. But I am not sure if they also having the same problem with me. As the problem in that post, is that the server shut down when the UPS running on battery. But my is it shutdown from time to time, this time it lasted 2 weeks and it shutdown. There is no error in event viewer and no error after running long diag using hp tool... but I am sure it's power related issue as in iLO log, i see the server power removed.... So do you think it's due to the UPS??
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I do not think your problem is due to the UPS, but it's possible to have a power event which only effects equipment which has a higher susceptibility to power issues (the ML350 G6). Everything else (destops, older servers, etc.) may stay up, but the server may go down due to not having the right power.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
wuitsung
Advisor

not sure what you mean... it not due to the UPS...? so what do suggest what would be the problem? The server is plugged into the ups
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I mean, there really was a power outage.....does this UPS you are using have any kind of power monitoring software? You should have a better idea of what caused this problem, if so.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
wuitsung
Advisor

There was no power outage at the time my computer shut down itself. I already checked the log.
wuitsung
Advisor

if my low end ups was the issue.... d oyou guys think this one is ok? APC Smart-UPS 750?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

The 750 does not have the power load to keep a ML 350 G6 up and running on battery. The batteries are not capable of maintaining a server power load. It needs a 2kVA UPS to maintain the power load with multiple batteries.
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

If you read that post in detail, you will see that several of us have/had ml350G6s that shut down when on utility power and/or fail to stay on during the switch to UPS. Basically, it is a Power Supply issue. The PS is so sensitive to fluctuations that the server will shut down (no events logged). Unless you have a double conversion UPS, or TRUE sign wave UPS, the UPS will not switch on fast enough to keep the server from shutting down. Our experience is that the Eaton 9000 or High end APC can keep the server on line during utility power fluctuations (and I mean fluctuations that are unnoticed by PC's and other servers.) I am fairly certain that the APC Back-UPS ES 750 is not adequate for the ML350G6. You will have to spend some money and get one of the models listed in that post.
wuitsung
Advisor

Thank you Wayne Henegar!! Because the server is used in my home office, and only 2 people will use the server and the server only has 1 cpu Xenon E5620, 1 PSU and 4 GB of Ram... it's mainly used as file server and running 2 win2k3 VM sevrer on it. So in this case, do you still think it's not enough? and from my understanding, my PSU is a single 460 Watt and the APC Smart-UPS 750VA (SMT750) offer 500 watts.... why do you think it's not sufficient?