ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748202 Members
2940 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it feasible to upgrade ML310 G5 processor?

mike7645
Occasional Contributor

Is it feasible to upgrade ML310 G5 processor?

Hello all. My customer has an ML310 G5. It currently has an E3110 dual core 3.0Ghz processor. It needs more processor power badly, but the server otherwise works fine. Is it feasible to upgrade the processor? I have located resellers that have X3360 processors on ebay. I understand the risks involved, what I'm asking is if this is technically possible. Can I just swap out the processor and go? I think it will probably need a more powerful cooling fan as well. Do I need to get an HP kit for all this to fit? The server has dual power supplies so I think we're good there.

Much appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Marko71
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mike,

The CPU is supported for the ML310G5 & the heatsink is the same for all models of the server.

As long as your system rom is up to date to ensure bios support for the cpu then you should not need to do anything other than apply a little thermal compund to the heatsink to replace what will be lost when you removed the old cpu.

Hope this helps.

mike7645
Occasional Contributor

That's what I was hoping. Thanks Marko. I'll post back when I get the upgraded processor installed and let you know how it goes.