ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753317 Members
5105 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible or how to make a drive with data to a mirrored drive by adding another drive

MKumar Nagappa
Occasional Advisor

Is it possible or how to make a drive with data to a mirrored drive by adding another drive

hp g4 ml350

hp 641 raid controller

array a - 36gb x 2 mirrored set - C partition

then i have a single 146gb drive just a drive which is D drive with live data on the same controller card.

Now can i add another 146gb drive and then make this second drive , that is along with
first 146gb drive a mirror pair without losing the existing data on the 1st 146gb drive.

thank you
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible or how to make a drive with data to a mirrored drive by adding another drive

hi

well you have to add the other 146 GB HDD once you do that you have to EXTEND RAID and after that (extend process in array configuration utility takes some time, 10-15 min per GB) after that your going to have the other option available which is migrate from 0 to 1.

so you can migrate your RAID 0 - RAID 1

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

sorry in my last post I wrote about EXTEND process

sorry it is EXPAND Process
as soon as you insert a new HDD it will be unassigned so will have the option in ACU to EXPAND the RAID after that EXPAND Process (10 - 15 min per GB) you will have migration option

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

check attached file

regards
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As others have said, you can add the drive, expand the array, then migrate it to a RAID1. From past experience this is a very slow and long process and that was using drives smaller than what your dealing with. Quickest way is to copy the data someplace and then blow away the JBOD drive, create a new array and copy the data back.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MKumar Nagappa
Occasional Advisor

many thanks to both members solution which added value to attain my result successfully.