ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753431 Members
4662 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is it possible to add 2 more hard disks to an existing raid 1?

SOLVED
Go to solution
robfra
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to add 2 more hard disks to an existing raid 1?

I have an HP Proliant ML110 Gen9 server configured with 2 1TB hard drives in raid 1 and I would like to add 2 more 4TB hard drives and configure these in raid 1 as well, in order to expand the data capacity. Can you tell me if it can be done and how can it be done? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Smartin67
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is it possible to add 2 more hard disks to an existing raid 1?

Once you pair any number of drives together in a Raid 1 configuration, the number of drives cannot be changed. You would need to add the new drives into their Bays, remove the original Raid config, and then create a brand new Raid volume with all of the drives at one time.

Another thing to take note of, when using Raid 1, you need to make sure all of your drives are the same size.

robfra
Occasional Contributor

Maybe I expressed myself wrong, the 2 4TB hard drives I would like to install in the server and configure them by adding another raid 1 to have the following configuration: 2 raid 1 arrays, the first (the original) with 2 1TB hard drives, while the second (created later) with 2 4TB hard drives. Is it possible to do this?

Smartin67
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Yes absolutely. As long as you have empty drive bays available, you can create as many Raid volumes as you want. I've done multiple Raid configurations on the same server many times.

Use the F10 Intelligent Provisioning option at BIOS, and you can manage your disk volumes very easily.

robfra
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much comprehensive answers. I ask you one last thing, is there a HP software for Windows Server that monitors the RAID?

robajoseph

Yes, the Smart Storage Administrator, it can be downloaded from the Support page, just do a search for it.