ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748265 Members
3968 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to remove second cage from Gen10+?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cakemasher
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to remove second cage from Gen10+?

The HPE chat support wouldnt even bother to awsner this question. Irritation rose to a whole new level during the chat session so I'm reaching out to this forum as a last resort. I hope some one is able to help me.

As the title implies, is it possbile to remove the second bay from a Gen10+ server?

The problem I'm facing is that the Gen10+ does not fit in our racks due to it being to long. However, I'm not planning on using the second (or third) disk bay at all. So I was wondering if it is possible to remove the entire second cage from the chassise so the overal depth demension will shorten by arround 20cm.

The image below might clearify my question.

5 REPLIES 5
KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro
Solution

No that's not possible, 2 bays is the shortest way that server can exist. You might look into removing the rack doors if that helps or using the DL325 Gen10 instead.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

Cakemasher
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your quick response! Removing the cage doors isn't an option unfortunally as the server will be placed in a commercial datacenter.

I've looked into a DL325 Gen10, but I'm not sure why the default PSU on the normal Gen10 is 800w, while it's only 500w on the Gen10+. Is the normal Gen10 that much less power efficient then the Gen10+?

Citizen25

While not possible what are asked for is what the DL325 Gen 10 is already.  

I just installed a stock DL325 has 800 and 500 watt depending on what cpu you choice or how you customize the server.  When stock my 325 came with a

1* 800 Watt Platinum power supply (upgraded to redundant), 7402p CPU, 2*32GB 3200 (upgraded to 256GB), 8 Bay drive (now 10 bay) beyond this mostly stock 

While not the best it is perfect for what I need it averags 130watt to 200 watt how configured above. 

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

Yeah there's no efficiency issue, that's normally just a product management judgement call, where they thought you might upgrade the system with enough options to need 800W. On the new ones they may have decided that 500W was a better fit for potential customers.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

Cakemasher
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Citizen25! Also thanks to KevinSpringPM for the info!

I'll be going for the normal Gen10 with the 7302p configuration.