ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753354 Members
4856 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to run SmartStart remotely rather than locally connected to the blade?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael1
Advisor

Is it possible to run SmartStart remotely rather than locally connected to the blade?

Hi,

Is there a way to run SmartStart over the network? I have managed to run SmartStart with a CD and now via the USB (courtest of the HP USB Key Utility for Windows). I would like to run it remotely though, presumably though the Onboard Administrator which uses IE on my office based PC. Would this be possible?

Ideally I would intend to use G4L to restore hard disks remotely but if I can run SmartStart without a local CD or local USB then I would be more than half way there.

So to sum up is there a way to run SmartStart on a BL460c and have the SmartStart at a remote site rather than in a media locally connected to the blade?

-Michael
3 REPLIES 3
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Is it possible to run SmartStart remotely rather than locally connected to the blade?

1- Login to the Onboard Administrator
2 - Go to device bays
3- Select the server where you want to run the smart start
4- Click on ILO
5- Select Web Administrator
6- Select Virtual Media once on ILO
7- Under virtual media you are going to have the option to mount a CD/DVD you can also mount an ISO image, that is going to be the CD or DVD on your local computer or a local ISO image. Select depending what you need and click on connect. Do not close this windows.
8- Go to power management and reboot the server then open the integrated remote console and the server should be booting from the CD remotely.
Michael1
Advisor

Many thanks Gary for the reply. SmartStarts is loading right now from my PC. It takes a while doesn't it. I expect it will take ~30 minutes to go 30 yards from here into the testroom where an OA and a BL460 are located. It took a while for me to see it but when I hit the link for the Virtual Media Applet in the iLO the 'Virtual Media' GUI appeared.

I notice it also mentions about 'Create Disk Image' in the GUI. Would this allow me to backup the entire hard disk (72G) just like Ghost4Linux does on to a USB stick or PC drive? G4L for us compresses the blade hard disk down to about 1.7G. When I tried this 'Create Disk Image' though all I could start was a copy from the CD to the PC's hard disk using this GUI. If the purpose of 'Create Disk Image' is not to back up the entire hard disk would you know what other purpose it might have?

As it stands when I connected in the USB stick earlier I could get G4L to start as I got to chose the correct G4L release version but then I suspect I didn't give it enough time as after around 5 minutes I gave up waiting on a black screen while the G4L was probably loading. SmartStart is more reassuring as it gives a % of how much is loaded as time passes.

-Michael
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

I'm glad to know it helped you. And no when I said that you can mount an ISO I meaned that on ILO Virtual Media you can mount a CD or DVD ISO Image of a CD or DVD and reboot the server from the ISO not to create a backup ISO of the Hard disks, that is not possible with ILO.