ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751975 Members
4485 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is possible to control redundant power supply balance?

fpp
Occasional Contributor

Is possible to control redundant power supply balance?

Hi.

I have a Proliant DL360G8 with dual power supply. They are working in full balanced mode so if the server is consuming 100W each power supply gives the server 50W.

Now they are all plugged to the same power line, but I'm planning to change it to a dual power line connection to prevent power supply loses. But one of the connections is slightly cheaper than the other so I'm wondering if I can say tue server to use the cheaper one and keep the other power supply as backup.

best regards

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Is possible to control redundant power supply balance?

Hi,

You should configure the server power supply form Balanced to other modes available, this option should be available in RBSU/BIOS.

Power Supply 1 is the Primary and Power Supply 2 is redundant.

You may refer to the server QuickSpecs here HP ProLiant DL360p Generation 8 (Gen8) (hpe.com)

You may also refer to RBSU Guide at HP ROM-Based Setup Utility User Guide (hpe.com)

Refer to "Redundant Power Supply Mode"
Balanced Mode, High Efficiency Mode (Odd Supply Standby), High Efficiency Mode (Even Supply Standby)

Thank You!
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

fpp
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is possible to control redundant power supply balance?

OK. So, as log as I can see it is neecessary to reboot the server and enter the BIOS with a monitor and keyboard attached... or is there any way to change it remotely and without a reboot?

best regards