ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752600 Members
4539 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there a way to deal with HP DL 380 G5 overheat ?

carp_1

Is there a way to deal with HP DL 380 G5 overheat ?

We bought two DL 380 G5 Server one year ago. recently I found out that the server is overheating unresonable at about 45 Celsius while the enviroment at 22 Celsius.
both servers have two dual core Processors, 4G RAM and four SFF 2.5 SAS DISK with 12 FAN configuration,but single power supply unit.
There is no error on the Front Diagnostics Panel.
I contacted engineers of HP, they all told me there is nothing they can do.Some one even told me that it is normal condition but my server is not in standby mode!
4 REPLIES 4
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hello :)

D you have more ifo where the overheating happens - I mean is it near the CPU or it is near the powersupply? I think it is a good idea to change the Power Backplane and the Powersupplys. You told that you have 2 servers - if you have the possibility, you can crosschange the powersupplys temporary ;)
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

It's strange because the DL380 G5 was later modified to have only 6 fans because 12 fans was found to be too much and not needed for the CPUs Intel finally provided.
As stated above, DL380 G5 is known to have problems with power supplies.
carp_1

Thanks a lot. but both the servers are in production mode , and we only have one Power supply for each server.
It is the power supply that is so hot.

Dear god, my colleague just ordered another 380 G5 which has only 6 fans.

Hope it will be fine.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I don't doubt that it is 22C in some part of the environment, but are you certain it is only 22C at the front of each of the two DL380G5's?

Are there any stickers or labels on the front panel which might be blocking airflow?

Anything else which might be blocking airflow to the systems?

Are all the internal baffles in place?

Can you describe the environment in greater detail?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows