ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753784 Members
6832 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issues with new ML150 G6 and SBS 2003 R2

Jeremy Carrigan

Issues with new ML150 G6 and SBS 2003 R2

I installed a brand new ML150 G6 yesterday and after I got SBS 2003 sp2 set up and got all the updates installed I rebooted to a black screen hang after the "Starting Windows Server 2003" splash screen. The server would boot in to safe mode fine but would black screen every time I attempted a normal boot. After I reinstalled Windows and restored my backup (thankfully I made a backup right after I configured Active Directory) I was back in business. I am just scared silly now because I have no idea what caused this hang. Event Viewer showed no symptoms. I uninstalled all the Windows Updates from the server through Safe Mode and that did nothing to resolve the issue. I called HP and they said the server was fine and that I need to contact MS except we all know how expensive that is. I also ran a systems diagnostic using the HP Boot Helper CD that came with the server and found nothing (I ran it automated 500 cycles). I am hoping someone out there has some ideas. The server is running HP Branded SBS 2003 sp2 installed with the Boot Helper CD. It's a Quad Core Xeon w/4 GB of RAM and B110i RAID (fw Ver 1.0) controller running RAID 1.
42 REPLIES 42
pearlyshells
Advisor

I, too, have had issues with SBS 2003 but in my case after I installed it and rebooted...no mouse and no keyboard.
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

If you can boot into safemode try to uninstall the Lights Out and Graphics driver then try to boot in, this is just to see if the hangs are caused by this drivers.
Brokenjeep
Advisor

Was there any resolution to this issue? I have the same issue on the ML150 G6 after installing Server std 2003 R2.

Any help would be appreciated!
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

I noticed that some people were able to boot when uninstalling VGA drivers from safemode, others were able to boot when disabling secondary port on the array controller from the BIOS.
I would like to know the systembaord revision that you are using as it does not happen on all ML150 G6 servers only on a small number of them.
Jeremy Carrigan

My guess is that it is a Windows Update causing this issue. I have disabled Windows Updates and the server has been running fine.
Brokenjeep
Advisor

Fantastic, thanks for the quick reply!

I am working through my co-worker in Hollywood... I asked him to d/l the 18 Aug BIOS before we started so he is doing that. Next he will disable the second port on the RAID as we were already in BIOS looking for that VGA driver.

Come to think of it, he did mention he had done all the updates and then it stopped working, if that is the case do we have any idea what MS update killed it? I will check it out one at a time and let you know the MoBo version.

Thanks,
Cam
Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

Jeremy would it be possible that you get the revision of systemboard that you have, im trying to collect some info on this to isolate it from being a hardware problem.
Jeremy Carrigan

That's not a problem. Would that info be printed on the mobo?
Brokenjeep
Advisor

Oh, I should add that HP Support had nothing for him on this issue... same thing that happened to me on my last thread even though it was an obviously known issue. :(