ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752821 Members
4892 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: JBOD mode on ML350 G4 and DL360 G4?

Larry Cukuras

JBOD mode on ML350 G4 and DL360 G4?

I have couple of Proliant ML350 G4 (P/N: 356006-421) and DL360 C4 (P/N: 470062-935) that I need to decommission.

Data is safely backed-up but before I can send them down to be shredded I need to wipe the data of them.

I want to use DBAN for that, but unfortunately, it does not work on RAIDs. I looked in HP Array Utility (found on SmartStart 8.25) and RAID configuration in BIOS and only options I could find were RAID5, RAID0 or RAID0+1.

How can I disable the RAID and put all HDDs into JBOD mode?

Alternatively - is there an HP utility to securely delete data?
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, I bet there's been threads about this in the past on the forum. Try the search thing.

But you may need a SCSI controller to get them into JBOD mode.

Have you tried to put each disk in a R0?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If you want to decommission server drives in RAID, you remove the RAID from the setup. Then boot your DoD grade CD/DVD and then clear all the drives one at a time.
Larry Cukuras

to Johan G.

Thanks you your reply, but I've already tried that and it didn't work.

to Michael A. McKenney

I'm not sure what you meant by "remove the RAID from the setup" but that gave me an idea...

Just in case someone else tries to do the same, that's what I did:

Disconnect HDD cage from the RAID controller and connect SCSI to the motherboard. Load the hard drives you need to wipe into the cage and boot from DBAN CD/DVD.

DBAN should see the HDDs now.
Larry Cukuras

Please read my last post. It has the solution.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I decommisioned several servers with RAID. I used Drive Erase. I went into the RAID configuration and removed it from the controller. Dropped the RAID. The RAID controller sees them at unallocated drives. Then I was able to run Drive Erase from boot.