4992 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Jumbo Frames

David B Walsh
Occasional Advisor

Jumbo Frames

Hi,

If I have a few servers which support jumbo frames, a switch that supports jumbo frames, and a whole bunch of workstations that only have 100Mbps NIC's, can I still enable jumbo frames for the servers without impacting the workstations? I'm think terminal server/Citrix environments where server to server throughput could see quite an improvement.

Thanks,
Dave.
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again

second link again

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive102-2004-10-89554.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

something else

http://sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/jumbo.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
David B Walsh
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

All the best,
Dave.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If and only if all your traffic is TCP is it even worth considering enabling JumboFrames on only a subset of the systems in a given broadcast domain/IP subnet. That stems from the TCP MSS exchange at connection establishment "covering" you when one side supports Jumbo and the other does not.

If you have UDP traffic of appreciable size (not DNS but say NFS or home-brew apps) if you have an MTU mismatch in the same broadcast domain/IP subnet, there is no other opportunity for IP fragmentation and your traffic will go into the bitbucket.

Also, you should check on the defintion of "Jumbo" on each of the servers and the switch. There are some kit out there which think that "Jumbo Frame" is something less than the de facto (there is no de jure) standard 9000 bytes...

Finally :)

Wisdom teeth are impacted, people and things are affected by the effects of events :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows