1748275 Members
3884 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: KVM/ IP Console Problems

Harry Scalcoyiannis

KVM/ IP Console Problems

Hello all,

We have recently purchased a 3x1x16 port KVM/ IP console switch.
As per the specs we have connected to 5 of the ports 1x8 Legacy Compaq KVM's in 5 different racks to support a total of 36 servers.
Our problem is that for no apparent reason we will not have access to a particular rack (Legacy KVM) and we get a Channel Access Denied error. The only way to have access again is to reboot the legacy KVM.
We have installed the latest firmware on the legacy KVM's (that we could find) v 2.1.1

As our systems are at a remote site this is causing as much grief - has anyone else had similar problems or know of some solution??
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Harry,

The "Channel Access Denied" message indicates that the maximum number of video sessions is already in progress. You can set a video sessions timeout value to drop sessions after a specific time to free up the possibility of new connections. This is set in the Settings-Global-Sessions entry.
(See IPCS Software Guide)

You can also disconnect a currently active video session from the Status tab if you think the user may not actually be using the system although this may require that you consult the person you intend dropping out of courtesy.

It may not be necessary to view a system permanently so perhaps the timeout can be tried first to see if this helps. At best it should not necessitate KVM reboots which I believe are only killing off the active video sessions anyway.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Harry Scalcoyiannis

Thanks for your reply Brian,

At the time we get the channel access denied message there is no one connected to any of the systems.

Your reply also makes me wonder if there are sessions that haven't disconnected properly, although, when I check the status in the IP KVM there do not appear any sessions open - I have setup a 10 min timeout but it doesn't seem to help.

Harry
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Harry,

I forgot to ask in my earlier reply but I assume you have firmware 2.1.5 on the IP console switch since you have already upgraded the legacy KVM's. Just in case you have an older IPCS firmware, 2.1.5 can be loaded from here.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/rack-options/kvm/soft-firmware.html

I'll do some investigation internally to see if there are any current issues with the IPCS and hopefully keep you updated.

Regards,

Brian
Harry Scalcoyiannis

Brian,

yes, we have the latest version firmware on the IP KVM.
Yesterday I replaced one of the IA's as we had no access to one of the legacy kvm's (not even from the local console). I placed the "faulty" IA in another port and it worked fine - I am starting to suspect it may be a problem with the IA's rather than the legacy KVM's.
Any luck on finding similar issues?

Harry
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Harry,

I haven't found much more information on your fault unfortunately. Are all your Interface Adapters at the latest firmware too? I.E. Have you upgraded them through the management interface already?

Regards,

Brian
Harry Scalcoyiannis

The IA's were purchased with the latest version firmware so we didn't need to perform a firmware upgrade from the switch. Do you think if we upload the firmware again to the IA's from the switch that this might help?
Mad_1
Regular Advisor

Does the "IP Console Switch" support HP-UX PA-RISC servers? Besides the "IP Console Switch", any other softwares, parts, cable are required?

Thanks
Harry Scalcoyiannis

Some more info:

If I perform a firmware upgrade on the IA that is connected to the legacy KVM I can then have access to the servers again. This seems to confirm that the problem is with the IA's and not the lagacy KVM.
I am contemplating buying another IP KVM and remove the legacy KVM's.