4720 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: KVM Switch

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

KVM Switch

Dear Compaq

I have a rack full of ML370's as configured by Active Answers which directed towards two seperate KVM switches:

400336-B31 Server Console Switch, 1 console, 4 servers
400337-B31 Server Console Switch, 1 console, 8 servers

What active answers unfortunately missed out was that I would need an interconnecting kit to allow these switches to share the same monitor keyboard and mouse. The kit has now arrived and I have installed the KVM daisy channel cable by plugging the middle set of connectors into the Keyboard, mouse and Monitor and connecting each set at each end of the daisy chain cable to each switch. However when I power on both KVM switches it is as though they are both competing for the monitor and the screen goes almost completely black except for a little fuzziness as well

There is one other cable in the interconnect switch kit which has an RJ45 connector at both ends but there does not seem to be anywhere to plug this in. The part number for the Interconnect switch kit is 242778-001

Any ideas why this still does not work ?

Regards

Arron Ludlam
arron.2.ludlam@bt.com
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have chained KVM switches without an interconnect kit: I just used a standard KVM server-switch cable to connect port 8 on the first switch to the keyboard, mouse and video outs on the second switch. Then cycle the power on both switches, and port 8 shows up as a used port - if you select it, then you get a menu of all the ports on the other switch, and you can configure as usual.
We also ordered an interconnect kit, but I reckon it's a red herring - I think this allows you to have a port presenting RJ45 at the front of the rack for connectivity to other devices. For daisychaining KVM switches, I don't think you need it at all.
Good Luck!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks barneygrice for your answer - if you're still having problems - email us at support@compaq.com and we can email the install guide - instructions are in the guide to stack these switchboxes
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Barney

Thanks for the info, I tried it yesterday and it all worked fine.

Many Thanks

Arron Ludlam
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

On a slightly different subject.

We too have a number of dazy chained console switches.

What I would like to do is upgrade the firmware ? unfortunately on the older types of switch boxes they have the RJ45 connectors ? I have tried a null cross over and straight through cables none of which allow me to do the update (comes back with unable to find a product).

Does anyone have the pin outs required for this cable.

Thanks in advance