1753415 Members
7109 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: KVM function on Lights-Out LO100c card

Jason404
Advisor

KVM function on Lights-Out LO100c card

I have a ML115 G5 with the LO100c addon card.

I have fitted a discrete graphics card to the x16 PCIe slot.

I have only just fitted the LO100c card, as it was not in stock when I ordered the machine. I cannot get the KVM component to work. I just get a black screen on the java window.

I was wondering if that was due to me using the other graphics card. Does the KVM function depend on me using the onboard Matrox G200?

If not, does anybody know why I am just getting a black screen? Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
Jason404
Advisor

I still cannot get this working!
sportq
Occasional Contributor

I've found that even with only the builtin graphic card installed, the KVM doesn't function all that well.

The media redirection has never worked on any combination of OS and JVM I've tried, and I've tried a fair number of them.

Also, the console redirection seems to timeout for about two minutes after you've activated it and clicked through all the security prompts the browser throws up.

A firmware update has been released for the 100c card (none for the ML115 G5 as yet) but I've not been able to bring the system down to apply it.

-Peter
Jason404
Advisor

I have the latest firmware for the LO100c, as far as I know. I only got it recently anyway.

Does the KVM function work for anybody at all, who has a ML115 G5?

I only really wanted it to get into the BIOS remotely. Is there a way to access it through Telnet or something? I tried looking into that, but could not find any information that I can understand.

I have been able to Telnet into the machine, using console redirection (I think - I am unsure of what that is exactly, but I followed the manual to set it up), but I could not figure out what to do from there.
Jason404
Advisor

Does anybody know where I can find out how to access BIOS settings through telnet, as the KVM function of the LO100c card just *does not* work?
Jason404
Advisor

I did find the problem in the end.

Once I removed the discrete graphics card, the KVM function on the LO100c started working.

I would appear that the KVM function only works when using the onboard Matrox G200 graphics, and does not work when a graphics card is used.
Rosew

Jason404,
have you upgraded your RAM to > 2.5GB?
If so, you should try removing some of your DIMMs to get to <= 2.5GB, then try KVM again with the graphics card.
Curious to see if this would make a difference.
thanks,
Rose
Jason404
Advisor

Rose, yes, I currently have 8GB in the machine, and I had 4GB before. But the KVM function does work fine, once I stopped using a discrete graphics card, and just use the onboard Matrox G200.

I cannot take any RAM out, as I need at least 4GB in it, but the KVM issue has gone anyway.

The problem I *do* still have with this troublesome LO100c card is that I cannot connect to it in anyway at, all a lot of the time. I have to power down the whole machine and unplug it from the mains for 30 seconds for the LO100c starts responding again.

I have the latest firmware that can be downloaded, which is 3.05A. The download page says that 3.05B is the latest version, but the download link still gives 3.05A.

I want to know if other LO100c users also sometimes cannot connect to the card (web interface, SSH, telnet, etc) or if it's just me. I am suspecting that it could be the DHCP server in my router if it is not a problem other LO100c users are having.