ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753761 Members
4712 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: KVM issues on a Compaq Proliant DL380 DUAL PIII

John Strunack

KVM issues on a Compaq Proliant DL380 DUAL PIII

I recently got got a Compaq Proliant DL380 DUAL PIII from a co worker. I exchanged 3 different KVM's that have cables included. I cannot get the KVM's to work on a Compaq Proliant DL380 DUAL PIII. It is not the cables I can get my other computers to work on all ports. It is not the Keyboard Mouse or Monitor. I can plug the Keyboard Mouse and Monitor directly into the server and it will work. Took me a while to find this but the Compaq Proliant DL380 DUAL PIII is the exact one on this link here http://www.lapkosoft.com/product/id/3813/Compaq_Proliant_DL380_DUAL_PIII_733Mhz_4Gb_RAM_Server.aspx

There seens to be some conflict issues with the server and the KVM's I am at a stand still. I don't know what is causing this.

Hope someone can help!
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

so what is the issue? I mean when you plug cables to KVM? no video? no mouse? no keyboard?

what KVM model? latest firmware on that device?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
John Strunack

OK, right now I have a TRENDnet TK-400K KVM Switch.

Before that I had a BELKIN F1DJ104P-B 4-Port KVM Switch (returned)

First one I bought and returned.

LINKSYS ProConnect PS2KVM4 4-Port KVM Switch

ALL Brand New

Using a dell 14" Dell Monitor

I have a Brand New
Keyboard Basic $9 from Walmart
Mouse Basic optical $9 Walmart

The monitor is blank green light on

Keyboard no response

Mouse has redlight but no response.

If I unplug """Monitor ONLY""" from the kvm and plug it into the server direct windows has already loaded. Requires Hard shutdown and plug the Keyboard, Monitor Mouse Direct to use.

Cannot use any KVM Retured 2 already.

Computer store wants to charge $75 hour to trouble shoot issue and they told me to contact Compaq/HP for support.

HP Customer service told me no phone support for product use the forum.

John
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

I've seen this issue before with other systems (Proliants included). It has to do with the keyboard port switching operating modes during bootup. Many KVMs cannot deal with that.

One KVM maker that CAN is Raritan. Their switches dedicate a separate processor to each and every port. You may want to try one of their switches (if you want a low-cost experiment, try a basic two-port 'Switchman' model first).

Now, with that said... I have had DL380 G1's, G2's, and G3's all mixed together on the standard Compaq-branded KVM switch, as made by Avocent, and never had any problems. You may want to see if a Compaq-branded KVM will solve the problem as well. Such are readily available for cheap on That Auction Place.

Happy tweaking.

Got Qwoob?
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Just as a last shot, who knows maybe this would help. Try running the latest FW CD for that server.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254889&prodNameId=342841&swEnvOID=181&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-73e7147c53964e85850764aaf7

And if that still does not work the consider getting a HP KVM solution. More info here:

www.hp.com/go/KVM

Thanks!

\RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!