cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Memory Leak Caused by Hardware?

Bill Mette
Occasional Visitor

Kernel Memory Leak Caused by Hardware?

I have two hardware-identical ML-570 G2's running Server 2003 Enterprise. There are no applications or services installed on these boxes beyond the OS, OS patches, OS support tools, and HP drivers. One of these boxes is experiencing a perpetual memory leak in the nonpaged pool of kernel memory. It is significant enough that the box will hang within 24 hours after each restart.

From what I have read, kernel memory leaks are commonly caused by driver issues. As I mentioned however, my two servers are 100% identical except for computer names and IP addresses. They were literally built side by side on the same table at the same time. One server is fine, the other has the memory leak. We even ran the system eraser and rebuilt the problematic server from the ground up using the exact same CD's that were used on the "good" server. No change. Is it possible that I could have a bad system component that is causing a driver to spin out of control and send the kernel nonpaged pool ballooning into oblivion?
3 REPLIES
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Kernel Memory Leak Caused by Hardware?

Bill:

I'd be inclined to swap the more obvious hardware between systems to try and move the 'bug'.

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Mike Ludwig
Frequent Advisor

Or swap the harddrives from the one that works fine and see if the problem moves.
Bill Mette
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replies. After contacting tech supprot, I swapped all memory between the two boxes. No change. Support confirmed for me that server diagnostics disk v s11.05A (sp23552) was compatible with my hardware. The "bad" box successfully completed 16 loops of all tests over the weekend.

I'm going to contact support again at this point as I do not feel I should have to waste any additional time with this. What if I had only purchased the single "bad" box? Thanks for the input though.