ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753536 Members
7745 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Keystroke to access bios on Proliant 5000?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Dole

Keystroke to access bios on Proliant 5000?

I have not been able to successfully access the BIOS on my newly acquired Prioliant 5000, does anyone know the appropriate combination of keystrokes? It sure would be nice if Compaq actually listed them on the splash screen...
7 REPLIES 7
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Keystroke to access bios on Proliant 5000?

Hi Robert,

On POST after detection of SCSI Devises there will be message Press "F10" key for System Partition Utilities. This is where we access our System Configuration Utility and can view details of system resources and their settings.

This System Partition is installed automatically when we run an assisted or manual installation of Operating System using Smart Start CD. This CD is supplied with new Servers and can be purchased by calling (800) 573-1099.

Be sure to as for legacy version 5.5 as current version 6.0 does not apply to older Servers such as yours.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Robert Dole

Ron,

Thank you for your help! I am still somewhat confused however. You see, I purchased this machine second hand from Boeing, and everything is wiped HD wise. When I hit F10, it dumps me to a screen that will say OS missing. Now, I can't boot to CD to install my OS because it will only try and boot to the HD, hence my needing to change the boot device order in the BIOS. Am I completely SOL?
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi Robert,

On the System Board there is a group of (6) DIP S/W's. Check your cover panel to show their location. On a tower Model they should all be switched 'OFF". On a Rack Model only DIP #3 will be "ON".

To get Server to boot to a CD or Floppy switch DIP #6 "ON", then power Server to it gets to "F1" prompt. Power down and switch DIP #6 "OFF" again. This will clear NVRAM and set Server to default configuration so it will boot to CD or Floppy.

Now once again you will need a system partition with System Configuration Utility to be able to configure Server to assign System resources. This can be installed via Smart Start as I explained before or by downloading System Configuration SP19619.EXE available at http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Then with this SoftPaq you can create Diskettes to run SCU (System Configuration Utility) directly or create System partition using these Diskettes. This is always so much easier just using Smart Start 5.5 as I described earlier.

Also you should upgrade Server Firmware to E16 04/30/99 using SP6224.EXE available at http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/7548.html

For further assistance call (800) 652-6672 Server Support as this E-Mail dialog is getting lengthy.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Could your problem be that the diagnostics and reference software was removed from the system as well? Do you have a "reference partition" on the machine's hard drive(s)? If not you may need to download the Proliant 5000 related diagnostics and reference diskettes to create the partition and load up the software.

I have downloaded te System Configuration Utility for use with my Compaq Proliant 1000 series. But everytime when the setup asks me for disk3 the FDD led keeps burning and the system doesn't respond anymore.

I have also tried to copy the entire contents of the 4 floppies to te hdd and then run the utility, but when the utility is ready with detecting/configuring the hardware the system still freezes.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Raymond,
Please update the system BIOS from HP website and then try running the System configuration Utility via SP19619. It could be that one of the floppies is corrupted. You can also order a Smart Start CD by calling 1-800-573-1099. Please make sure you ask for Smart Start 5.50 CD.

Regards,

Thanks, I was indeed a corrupted floppy, stupid of me. Now I am a lot further, altough it seems I can't boot from a bootable cd. I have tried 5 different cd's (E-Smith SME Server 4.0 , 5.0, 5.5, 5.51 and Windows 2000) everytime I get the message "This CD is not bootable on this system".

I have started the E-Smith SME Server Setup using a boot-floppy. That works, but... :D now I get an error that I don't have enough memory (I have 72MB of memory in the server).

Everytime I get a step further. (I have bought this server 2nd hand for $25 :D )