cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kingston RAM in DL380/DL380-G2

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Kingston RAM in DL380/DL380-G2

Does anybody here have large numbers of DL380's using Kingston RAM? I have a DL380 dual 933MHz that randomly locks up and I'm thinking it is the RAM. The reason I say this is because the server has been rebuilt, there are no red X's in the event or app log (i've cleaned them up), we've swapped system board, riser card, and array controller, and the same issue results. It's a system lockup that leaves the system pingable, but nothing can be done in the OS. Nothing gets added to any of the logs (Compaq IM log, or the system/event logs). The system in question was a Windows Terminal App Server before rebuild #1, and now is a Citrix XP server. Any opinions or insight would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Kingston RAM in DL380/DL380-G2

I haven't run into many issues with G2's locking up with Compaq Memory.

One thing I would do to test is pull the Kingston memory out and run on the Compaq memory that came with the box. I am sure this is going to lower your memory significantly but it might help to point you in the right direction. You know if you are still having lockup then it is either something in the OS or the remainder of the hardware that hasn't been swapped (procs & disks).

I haven't been a big fan of Kingston memory for quite sometime. I have seen some very odd things happen when running it in Compaq servers. I am surprised Compaq actually sent you replacement parts to troubleshoot when running non-Compaq memory.

Please post back what you find on this and the other issue. I would be curious to see what the end result is. Good Luck.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Kingston RAM in DL380/DL380-G2

It does the same thing with compaq RAM. I just ran a 2 day test with the system in production and it locked up again two times. No events were in the event or application log that would seem to have any relevance to the problem. Again, the system is pingable, but there is no disk movement. I'll look at that.