1753857 Members
7561 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Kingston RAM question #2

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Kingston RAM question #2

In working with DL380 G2's with Kingston RAM, I've noticed that the system won't post with only 2 DIMM's in bank A. The system will post but only show half the ram with 4 DIMM's in banks A and B. And, only with all banks filled will the system show the correct ammount. Has anybody else had this experience? It seems that first generation DL380's are fine with running without every bank filled, but the G2's need all banks filled for your desired amount to be recognized. I've experienced this occurance with 1 and 2 gb Kingston DIMMS. Any info would be greatly apprecaited.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Kingston RAM question #2

I will wager a guess - and hope I have it right.

With the 380G2 - the Banks are done in a different order then they have been in the past. I am going from memory so stick with me.

Bank A = Slots 1&4
Bank B = Slots 2&5
Bank C = Slots 3&6

I don't know if this is the way you have them installed or if you are doing it the same way many of us do - Slot 1&2 is Bank A and so on. If you are indeed doing it in the correct banks then I'm really not sure where to point you. Also, one thing to keep in mind is the G2 series has Online Spare Memory. I'm not exactly sure how this works but I believe this cuts your memory count in half - it has a spare DIMM in each bank. You can see how this is setup in the Sys Config (F9)

Again - I don't know if this is something you tried - just throwing out a couple ideas that popped into my head.