1748148 Members
3774 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

LTO5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Int Tape Backup

yawming
Occasional Contributor

LTO5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Int Tape Backup

I just purchase a HP ML350p with an internal tape without any tape backup software.  I am totally new to the operation of this system.  I have installed Windows 2008 R2 and hope to use Windows backup to backup the data. 

I checked the device manager and the Ultrium5 tape seems to be properly installed, but I could not find any drive letter associated with the tape.  Is it possible or necessary to associate the tape with a drive letter?

I launch Windows backup and test it with backup once option, select custom backup and the folder I want to backup.  The two options I have are the drive letter and remote share server MyFileServer\SharedFolderName

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Re: LTO5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Int Tape Backup

Hi Good Morning from here

Try HP Data Protector it works see the link bellow :

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1175640

Good Luck

yawming
Occasional Contributor

I managed to download and install HP LTFS Configutation software which allows me to map the tape as a drive letter.  When I proceed to create the map drive with the tape loaded it says it is not LTFS format.  Being a brand new tape, I proceed to format but the message was formatting volume failed.  Errors attached.

I could simply go and buy another tape but having taken so long to locate the appropriate software, I rather suspect I have missing or not up to date software.  Any suggestions?

Ming

MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Tape you are using is it WORM ? Write once ready many ?

Send you a link with several options to be sure .

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&prodSeriesId=4150338&objectID=c02096846#A3

Hope it helps

yawming
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the various help. It turn out that the solution is simple! Make sure that the serial number and tape label are alphanumeric and exactly 6 characters.