5278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LUN Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
LouK

LUN Configuration

I have a Proliant DL389 G4 server, I have attached a Quantum Superlaoder 3 to the SCSI connector on the back of the server. The drive appears within Backup Exec 10 as a stand alone tape drive instead of robot and it does not see the slots on the autoloader. I know the LUN is not configured correctly it is showing as 0 instead of 1 as required. How do I reconfigure this to enable LUN support, I have gone into the SCSI set up on boot and there is no option to change it there that I can see. I also can't see where to change it in the array configuration utility. Thanks for you help.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Lou:

The external connector on the DL380G4 is tied into the second channel of the Smart Array. HP suggests that you do not use the Smart Array to connect Tape Drives and Libraries. In some cases, they might not even work.

The best thing I can suggest is to get an additional SCSI HBA and install it into the server. You will get MUCH better performance out of the hba vs. the Smart Array, if you get any performance at all from the Smart Array.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Miika T
Valued Contributor

I have seen many working solutions, where a tape device is connected to external 6i inteface. Make sure your device is supported by be. Here's the list for 10d deviced:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/281670.htm

Also make sure that the library lun/scsi id is lower than the tape, if they have unique scsi id's. Also delete all devices from be, and using tapeinst. After reboot, run tapeinst again and install veritas drivers. After reboot, verify that windows device manager has both library and tape device. Now you should be able to configure slots + tape in be.

-Miika
LouK

Thank you both for your replies. I tried the configuration as per your suggestion Miika but it still did not work so I have gone with Stevens suggestion and ordered a new SCSI HBA which I'm waiting for to be delivered.

Thanks again, Lou
LouK

THe new SCSI HBA has been installed and everything is now working. Thanks.
LouK

Problem solved with installation of new SCSI HBA.