1753761 Members
4858 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LUN Masking or Port Zoning

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

LUN Masking or Port Zoning

We are not able to ACTIVATE an NSS Pool on multiple Nodes at the same time (only on the Master Node) because of the LUN Masking or Port Zoning.

The controller inside is the Smart Array CL Controller.

How do we configure this and which Compaq Utility? We have looked everywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: LUN Masking or Port Zoning

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a Smart Array CL Controller. Do you mean the Array Controller in an ProLiant CL380? When you go into the Array Configuration Utility, what is the name of the controller there? Also what is the storage box that it is connected to?

If it is a SCSI based Smart Array Controller of some type, you will not be able to do LUN masking. LUN Masking is only supported on fibre channel based storage systems (RA4100, MSA1000, MA8000, EMA12000, etc.)

If this is a clustered system, the cluster software (such MSCS) handles the access to the disks - in fact, you do not want to do LUN Masking in a cluster because the disks won't fail over if they are masked from the surviving node.

Thanks,
Doug
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The Smart Array CL Controller is the controller in the Compaq Dl380 G2 Clustered Package. The CL380 was the predecessor I believe to this unit. The G2 Clustered Package comes with 2 Dl380 G2 and one SAN built in to one unit. Below is the link for the exact unit.

http://www.compaq.com/solutions/enterprise/highavailability/packagedclusters.html

I believe since it is a SCSI based solution and not FC, like you said, that is probably why I cannot do that.

Thanks for the help

Robert
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes that is correct. The DL380 Packaged Cluster does not support LUN masking. So when you have the 2 DL380 servers directly connected to the shared storage (via the SCSI cables), you MUST run some type of cluster software to manage the access to the shared storage disks.

Thanks,
Doug