ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752625 Members
4708 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Latest Proliant Service Pack does not support Windows Server Core installations?

SOLVED
Go to solution
kazuza
Advisor

Latest Proliant Service Pack does not support Windows Server Core installations?

When will there be added support for running HP SUM 6.2 on Windows Server Core installations?

Where can I get in touch to get official support about this?

Having to resort to a browser to update my servers is proposterous and ridiculous...

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Latest Proliant Service Pack does not support Windows Server Core installations?

Take a look at the users guide. You can run hpsum from a command line

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
kazuza
Advisor

Hello :)

I always RTFM the manual before posting questions or doubts ...

The hp sum 6.2 allows to be run from the command line for scripted installations ... That makes no nosense what-so-ever

You have no option of deciding with components are being installed. You have no interaction with the process...

This is the stupidest idea ever! Not having a say in what get's installed realtime on my servers is not for me...

Please someone from the product team ear us. I have no idea who designed this method, but it is unusable in the real world...

Someone from the product team please coonfirm if possible to use old Smart Update Manager with this SPP

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

kazuza wrote:

You have no option of deciding with components are being installed. You have no interaction with the process...

You can specify the components you want installed by using the   /c[omponent]<component_to_install> switch, or create an input file with the components you want installed.

kazuza wrote:

This is the stupidest idea ever! Not having a say in what get's installed realtime on my servers is not for me... 

By providing an input file or using the /c switch you can control what gets installed.

I'm guessing what you're really asking for is a text based menu system?

Any reason you can't use the remote functions and run the GUI from a client instead of on the server itself?

kazuza
Advisor

Hello :)

Yes, I would really like you to maintain the components selection menu from the host to be updated.

Let me try to explain my dilema:

Several of our customers have remote sites (some of them in very remote locations) , containing no more than a small rack, a ups, a router, a switch, and a proliant server (mostly DL380 's )

Our Modus Operandi is pretty standard:

Configure array

Perform automatic firmware update (offline - detected as linux)

Install bare OS - Windows Server 2012 core

perform firmware and drivers selective installation (ex: due to standards smh cannot be installed, same as with WBEM providers and so on)

Configure native OS NIC teamings (a reason why we cannot perform remote updates; specially when starting with drivers for the NICs installed from server 2012 media - usually leaves teaming compromised. generally upgrading network cards for teams created with nics already updated with hp drivers presents almost no issues)

Configure ilo

integrate OS with infrastructure

validate communications and basic settings

the rest is made remotely

In the field, it is very important to be able to quickly ascertain what to install and when, specially for troubleshooting purposes; or very specific firmware/driver updates ) for which SPP and HP SUM are one of the main reasons I chose HP for servers over the competition. The deployment ease with such tools is suberb. Please don't ruin that ;)

Best regards,

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

I'll pass your usage scenario along to the hpsum and SPP groups

kazuza
Advisor

I would be really gratefull :)

Best Regards,