Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legato recovery manager and Compaq Insight manager causing perfdisk errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rex Foord
Occasional Visitor

Legato recovery manager and Compaq Insight manager causing perfdisk errors

I am having problems with Legato recovery manager and Compaq Insight manager causing perfdisk errors.
This is a repeatable scenario across all our servers. ie
Standard win2k server SP4 on any compaq proliant. Legato networker 6.1.3 loaded - OK
Legato Recovery manager 2.0.2 installed -OK
Diskperf physical disk counters set to start at startup. This all works OK except for the following 1 entry in event log.
"Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk performance counters must be enabled for at least one physical disk ......."
this seems strange, as they are on.

We then install compaq insight management agents 6.4 then every 2 minutes we receive 18 of the following errors in event log (which fills up fast! and seems to cause some instabilities to creep in)
"The open procedure for service 'perfdisk' in DLL 'c:\winnt\system32\perfdisk.dll' failed. Performance data for this service will not be available."

There is a MS knowledge base article 296187 that refers to these errors but it suggests that the counters need to be turned on. However diskperf reports that physical disk counters are on!

Any further clues to this would be appreciated.

thanks

Rex Foord
1 REPLY
Louis_27
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Legato recovery manager and Compaq Insight manager causing perfdisk errors

I would check the control panel for HP Management agents. You will see in the "active agent" list an item called Performance Monitor. Move it to the "inactive agent" list, apply the change an allow it to restart all the HP agents and SNMP. This should stop the Perflib errors(I believe they are Event ID 1010). I have been seeing this error since 6.3 of the management agents, as well as the HP Nic Agent Service disabling itself when a server has a gigabit ethernet adapter. I reported this to COMPAQ/HP, but have not seen any fixes. Hope this workaround solves your problem. -- Louis