cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightsout on older ML370 Server

icargill
Occasional Contributor

Lightsout on older ML370 Server

We have an older (about 5 years) Proliant ML370 server, which hasn't been used for about 12 mths, but is still in good condition. Boots up OK, etc. Still running Windows SBS 2003, but with Exchange disabled (we now use Hosted Exchange).

I now have a situation where I could make good use of the LightsOut facility to remotely access the box without using RDP/VNC/etc. [It's a security issue.]

It currently has nothing plugged into it, and I'm not sure what it *should* have to get it working. Can anyone point me at a good introduction/setup guide that I could use to get the LightsOut stuff working??
3 REPLIES
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Re: Lightsout on older ML370 Server

Hello,

Per default it cannot replace using RDP/VNC to access the server since, the graphical view requires an advanced ilo license.

If you go ahead an buy this, it will be a good solution.

You have two options.

1) Get the username and password from the sticker that followed the server

2) Enter the iLO ROM and setup the user/pass for access it.

In both cases you'll need to assign an ip address to the board (F8 at boot)

Regards,
icargill
Occasional Contributor

>graphical view requires an advanced ilo license
Thanks, I didn't realise this. I can see a few going cheap on the net.

I'll look for the username/password sticker. Any idea of what you can do if I can't find one??
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Hi,

If you don't have the sticker with the password on it, you can set the username/password from the F8 iLO ROM at bootup.

IF you run an old version of iLO firmware you'll be asked for password even in the ROM, so update to latest before doing this.

Regards