Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux installs on DL320e Gen 8 v2 RAID 1

mosesmosheh
Occasional Visitor

Linux installs on DL320e Gen 8 v2 RAID 1

Hello

I'm attempting to install a Linux distribution to an HP DL320e G8 v2 server. I've configured the HP Smart Array B120i to RAID 1, and built my logical drive. But,every Linux distribution I try can't find the drive.

I've tried the Intelligent Provisioning, and even used the Wizard with the recommended settings to, in this case, install ESXi 5.5. I haven't tried any other distributions with this Wizard. (I did wonder whether I needed to update the firmware, however this Intelligent Provisioning Wizard seems to do that quite happily).

I wonder if anyone might be able to offer any assistance?

Moses

PS) The first time I had this issue with a DL320e G8, I used the software RAID on an install, disabling the B120i, but it does seem a shame to keep doing this when the server seems to have the capability.

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Linux installs on DL320e Gen 8 v2 RAID 1

The B120i is an HP 'Dynamic' Smart Array. the RAID stack is actually in a driver called 'hpvsa' This is a closed source driver so it isn't included with any distribution. It is available for Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! Accept or KudoI work for HPE