1753658 Members
5338 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux kernel Panic

Don_89
Trusted Contributor

Linux kernel Panic

I'm having a problem loading Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1 update #2 on a Compaq DL380 SMP 800GHZ using the internal SCSI controller with 9.1GB drives using RAID-1. The server has the latest BIOS, rompaks ,etc.. etc.. . The OS boots and I get a 'Kernel panic, VFS cannot mount root device 4805', correct "root=" boot option.

lilo.conf looks like this

default=linux
boot=/dev/ida/c0d0
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
linear
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2-2.4.9-e.24smp
label=linux
read-only
root=/dev/ida/c0d0p5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2-2.4.9-e.24
label=linux-up
read-only
root=/dev/ida/c0d0p5

Any help would be appreciated...

thxs..
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Snyder_1
Advisor

First thing is to see if your boot partition is small enough to boot from. A 'too large' partition or stripe array will not allow you to boot to it. The other thing to check is that you are using the Smart start CD to setup system configuration beforehand. I personally have had big problems (unresolved) with RedHat and onboard SCSI controllers, especially using RAID arrays. The biggest problem I've seen with older Proliants is the memory settings, which the newer RedHat does ok with. Hope this all helps!
Boom! And it was gone...
Don_89
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the reply Terry, looks like its a driver issue. I'm still working on it..
beat steiner
Occasional Advisor

Make sure your RAID controller is not sharing its interrupt with other devices. I wasted 2 days on that while installing redhat 8.0 on my ML370G3.
Check the PCI device listing during boot and have a look at the BIOS settings.
-- Beat