ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7347 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Linux + noise factor for 320/360 ProL

jason_204

Linux + noise factor for 320/360 ProL

Hello, We are moving away from Dell and more towards compaq/hp for two reasons.

Linux Support and server noise levels

Dells 1650 and 2650's are the loudest rack servers we have ever heard. I know that rack servers are not very quite but compared to others Dell didn???t even try. In a small work office these bad boys sound like jet engines.

The other reason is Linux support. Some of Dells tools to monitor server health and perform upgrades are not Linux compliant.

Does anyone care to comment on these 2 factors for the prolient 300 series (320/360/380)

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Ryan Gread
Occasional Advisor

Re: Linux + noise factor for 320/360 ProL

I am told HP is currently rewriting all of its management tools into the linux environment. Also you can monitor the server health with the exisiting software. I am told it works, but i dont personally use linux on a 300+.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Linux + noise factor for 320/360 ProL

Which distro of Linux? The newer models of these servers have hardware control of the fans as well as the systems management driver (the driver controls the fan speed). I know Red Hat and Suse have these drivers available.

One advantage of using the health driver for fan control instead of the system PAL (hardware control) is that the health driver has the capability to step the fan speed up and down in increments to account for changes in temperature. The System PAL only knows two speeds: low and full.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..