cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux on NeoServer - Is It Possible???

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Linux on NeoServer - Is It Possible???

Given the restrictive sysadmin provided via the SCO ACOS interface, we are seriously thinking of dumping SCO and try loading Linux onto the NeoServer - at least then we could manage our system they way we want to.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has attempted this or if it is even viable. Certainly discussions elsewhere would indicate that the BIOS may not support such a change ... Anyone???

Cheers, Mark B
4 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Linux on NeoServer - Is It Possible???

The bios was DESIGNED not to support such a change. It's not a general purpose computer, it's an appliance that was designed from the ground up to fill a specific need. Your welcome to try installing whatever you like, but compaq will be somewhat limited in what information we have on these 'custom' configurations and how they work.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The Neo runs FreeBSD 4.2 and Linux 7.0. I have installed and run both successfully because the root login is a "Secret". For all those looking for a professional Unix admin interface, Webmin (www.webmin.com) supports SCO OpenServer.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Any problems with drivers when installing Redhat version 7.1? I am not a big Linux user, but I have this NeoServer, and I have nothing else I can do with it. It doesn't function "As is", I can't replace it, and it was to expensive to use as a door stop. If Linux works fine, I'll get a book, some junk food, and spend the weekend setting it up...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We sell lots of Neo's with Redhat 7.1. They're discontinued now - pity. It's real easy: Get a CD drive, take the PC's case off, take the cover off the back of the server to reveal the keyboard and monitor ports (and plud a k/b and monitor in), take the IDE connector strap going to the two top removeable drives and attach it to the CD drive. Make sure you unplug both removable drives and only use the last connector on the IDE strap to connect your CD drive. Also unplug the power from the removable drives and plug that into your CD to power it up. Unless you're going to use the Neo as a router/firewall (as we do), better to take one of the Intel EtherExpress Pro network cards out. Linux doesnt do a good config with two cards unless you really know what you're doing.

Put your RH7.1 CD in, bootup and escape into bios - F2 key while booting from memory. Just follow the instructions after that and blow away whatever was there. The crap about 'the bios doesn't supports other OS's' is not true.

Do whichever install you wish, we do an auto 'server' install. When you're satisified you're up and running and have confirmed a network connection AND an internet connection, you can safely power down, attach the removable drives and put the case back on. From here you can get anything you need by FTP. We use Webmin to run the server, www.webmin.com/webmin I strongly suggest you ftp it down and install it - very easy to do - follow the notes.

Good luck! Our Neos are extremly fast network servers and everyone who has one raves about it. (if you still have trouble email me and I'll set it up for you).