1754014 Members
4687 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Linux on ProLiant 5000R

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Linux on ProLiant 5000R

Anyone know of any potential issues with running RedHat on a Proliant 5000R? I plan on purchasing one, and installing (4) P-Pro 200's with 512k cache. Just hoping I will not have too many issues with Linux.

Does anyone have any experience trying to install/use Linux on one of these beasts?

Also... anyone know the exact form factor (size) of these servers? They look like about 6-8U, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any data. Have a nice day :)
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Linux on ProLiant 5000R

I just completed the initial install of Red Hat 6.2 on a dual Pentium Pro 5000R.
I'm not sure what configuration you have relative to embeded SCSI or Smart2P (or E) and what drive config you have.
You need two sets of diskettes (unless you were fortunate enough to get a SmartStart CD with your purchase, I wasn't). The first set would be for configuring your drive array (if you're using one) the second set is the system configuration (formerly called EISA config) and diagnostics.

I purchased another processor card with two Pentium Pros which will bring it to a Quad. I'll reinstall when that comes in on Friday or Monday. I'll let you know how things go. Send me your email address so we can update each other that way rather than in this forum. My email is rowan@rownetco.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a Proliant 5000R with 128MB of RAM and RH7.1 is saying that I don't have enough memory. I have the latest SmartStart CD (5.0) with the current firmware and system utility partition.

If anyone knows a workaround let me know.

Thanks,
Charles
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Well I am not great fan of both Compaq and RedHat .My friends used to have this Server and we spend some time installing Linux on it ..it's quet simple just make sure u have last kernel and patches to it if i could give you an advice though ...if I were you I'd go with Mandrake 8 , much better security and much more servers functions.One more thing good luck with the server.

And to the person with 128 mb ram ....make sure your linux knows how much exactly RAM you have.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am setting up a sever for a school LAN which is a Compaq Prolinat 5000 Pen Pro 200 series. I am interested in running Mandrake on this machine and have searched the Mandrake site and Compaq site for any information regarding operating stability on this machine. I am wondering if anyone would have any information that would help me to better assess the possibility of using this for the above mentioned server?

CENTERLINE Productions dlc
Dwight L. Cameron
307, 2611 ? 1 Avenue NW.
Calgary, Alberta T2N 0C5
Ph./Fax (403)-210-0172
dwightlcameron@home.com

rep for:
Clear Water Acadmy
http://www.clearwateracademy.com/
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

For the memory issues, add the line "linux mem=128M" at the install screen, this should let you continue with the installation. I will have to disagree with the comment by bob1001 to use mandrake instead of redhat on compaq servers, since there is no security advantages with mandrake and the software packages are about the same. If more server software is required you can download most from www.rpmfind.net . The big advantage with redhat linux is hat it has support from compaq technical support, has drivers available from the web as well as management agent support from compaq.
DUCOS Sylain
Occasional Contributor

I have teh same problem: Not enough memory!

Anybody know the solution?

Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

If mem=128M doesn't work...

For 128MB try this:

"linux mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=127M@1M"

or

"linux mem=112M@16M"