1752729 Members
5884 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux recommendation s please ML330

pkfox
Advisor

Linux recommendation s please ML330

Hi all, I have a HP Proliant ML330 G6 server, 8gb RAM, P410 RAID controller with 512 BBWC, I currently have Windows 7 on it but want to put Linux on it at some point. Its main purpose is storing data but it will occassionaly be used as a database server and possibly Web server, my question is, what distros play nicely with these boxes ? I'm pretty comfortable with Fedora and Debian so will probably go with one or the other but I thought I'd ask the experts

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers тАУ Netservers to  ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

I would at least go with something that's supported.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/redhat_linux.aspx#.U37WS3WSy3I

I think a lot of people run a RHEL derivatives on servers so if your application can run with the a bit older version of libraries/software found in RHEL that might be a good stable option.
pkfox
Advisor

Thanks for replying, Fedora is basically RHEL so thats probably my best option, the server is in a SOHO situation and wont be taxed very much, is this the correct forum to post in ? I meant to post in the Proliant section but somehow ended up in here. Thanks again.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

No it was the wrong place. Guess this might be in either the Linux part under operating systems or ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL).

The OS you are most familiar and if that works (supported on this server?) would be a good choice.
pkfox
Advisor

I thought it was i will repost there and will probably get told off for reposting :-)