HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading O/S on ML330

Stuart Allen
Occasional Visitor

Loading O/S on ML330

I am trying to load MS Server 2003 Standard on a brand new Proliant ML330. It has a CSB-6 Ultra ATA-100 card w/2 200GB drives that are mirrored.

Using SmartStart 6.40, I have tried to load the O/S. SmartStart says it copies the files however upon reboot I get a Non-System disk error. I'm I missing something?

I also tried a manual load using the drivers for the csb-6. Windows copies files and does a reboot but without the O/S CD the server just sits there attempting to load the O/S. If I reboot with MS Server 2003 CD in the CD-ROM, Windows starts a fresh install.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer,

Stuart

3 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Loading O/S on ML330

Hello Stuart,
Please make sure that your boot controller is set to first. You need to go to F9 upon POST. Usually when boot controller order is not set properly that is when you get a message similar to yours.

Regards,
Stuart Allen
Occasional Visitor

Sunil,

The first boot device is set to use the CSB-6, there are 2 other controllers listed, and the following is the entire list:

Ctrl:1 PCI Embedded CSB-6 Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID Controller
Ctrl:2 PCI Embedded HP Intergrated PCI IDE Controller
Ctrl:3 PCI Slot 1 RAID Mass Storage Controller

Controller:3 has the 2 200GB drives installed on it and will be used for mirrored data.

At POST the following are found:

Promise Card for the mirrored drives (both drives are functional).

CSB-6 Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID Controller w/Maxtor 38166MB drive attached UDMA 5; set to the following array:
Array #: 00
Mode: RAID0
Stripe Size: 64KB
# of Stripes: 01
Drive Size: 38164 MB

HP Ethernet Boot Agent then runs, followed by attempting to boot from all devices, followed by "Non-System disk error".

Thanks for the help!

Stuart
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Stuart,
If you are not booting from the Promise card then just pull it out for now. Just set up the basic system and see if you're able to boot with the onboard controller. Once you do boot up successfully then shut down the system and install the Promise card and make sure it does not take over the boot order.
Please let me know how you make out.

Regards,