ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752586 Members
4089 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Local Area Connection 2 in Win Server 2003 on BL460 fails to receive DHCP data

Michael1
Advisor

Local Area Connection 2 in Win Server 2003 on BL460 fails to receive DHCP data

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can fix the Local Area Connection 2 on my Windows Server 2003 32Bit? My issue is that whenever I enable the Local Area Connection 2 it never picks up a dhcp address. Consequently when I type ipconfig from a DOS prompt I'm left with:

Ethernet adapter Local Area connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address . . : 169.254.1.163
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . :

If I enable the other port (i.e. Local Area Connection) then this is fine in that the four attributes above are correctly filled via DHCP. Because of this issue I am unable to configure the Windows blade for teaming as I can't get both NICs on the same network beforehand which I understand is essential.

I did try putting in a static address. In this case I could ping but everything seemed slow and IE timed out for me when trying to reach various websites. For example I couldn't reach www.google.com but doing a tracert to 66.102.9.99 eventually got to www.google.com.

The driver for both 'NIC's would be the same being Version 4.5.2.0 and we used SmartStart 8.10 to install the Windows 2003 Server. If I was to delete and recreate this Network Connection how would I go about it? Or would there be another solution.

The BL 460 blade is in port 9 of a c7000 chassis and talking to a CAT switch. Would the presence of a CAT switch be an issue here? Also there is a HP Network Configuration Utility 9.30.0.19 on the Windows. This indicates that the two NICs are as follows:
[1] HP NC373i Multifunction Gigbit Server Adapter I/O Bay 1 Port 9
[2] HP NC373i Multifunction Gigbit Server Adapter #2 I/O Bay 2 Port 9

I had a look at another Win 2003 server blade which is in a c3000 and there were no problems there.

On a second point, earlier I tried and cancelled the operation to install Version 9.50.0.0 of the HP Network Configuration Utility but I kept getting the error saying

"WARNING!
The version of the miniport driver(s) installed are not compatible with this version of the HP Network Configuration Utility.....you will not be able to use this utility until these miniport drivers are updated..."

Any suggestions on how to get around this issue are also welcome as I'm unsure where to find the miniport drivers. To be fair though I'd much prefer to solve the Local Area Connection 2 currently not receiving IP data from a dhcp server and being as useful as a glass hammer. This occurs even if the other NIC has no problems.

Kind regards,
Michael
3 REPLIES 3
Johanny Gonzalez

Re: Local Area Connection 2 in Win Server 2003 on BL460 fails to receive DHCP data

Hi Michael

First ping the DHCP if you get reply check that DHCP pool scope could be full.

Also check the NIC speed and duplex status sometimes are in Gigabit by default

Also install the last PSP

Following this you can look where is the issue
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Since "Local area connection" works I'm assuming you have something network related plugged into interconnect bay 1 slot in the back of the c7000. do you also have the same type of interconnect module plugged into bay 2?

If you look at the quick setup guide it shows the port mappings for the half height and full height blades

NIC 1 maps to interconnect bay 1, NIC 2 maps to interconnect bay 2

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00698534/c00698534.pdf
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Michael1
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the reply. Problem is now solved. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and also to Johanny too. I concentrated on the CAT side of things. My solution in the end was to reset the CAT Switch 2 back to factory defaults.

My setup is that port 24 of CAT1 and CAT2 are each connected to a 1GB hub. Ports 23 of CAT1 and CAT2 are connected to each other. Port 24 (Gi0/24) of CAT2 normally appears as disabled in the Catalyst Balde Switch device manager via the OA I reset both CATs and this made no difference. I removed all the cables and defaulted CAT2. Now I put back the cable into port 24 of CAT2. After around 30 seconds this LED went green. I also put back the cable between ports 23 of CAT1 and CAT2. My main problem was then solved in that I could enable Local Area Connection 2 in Windows from the DHCP with the correct values.

I put back the cable into port 24 of CAT1. Immediately port 24 of CAT2 went disabled (LED went orange). Port 24 of CAT1 went green. I was pleasantly surprised though that I could enable both Local Area Connection 2 and Local Area Connection from the DHCP server. Everything appeared to work. I launched the HP Network and configured teaming.

Thanks again.
-Michael