cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Area Connection 5

Tony Davidson
Occasional Advisor

Local Area Connection 5

Greetings, I have a DL380 G3 and recently upgraded the NIC drivers and teaming utility. (PSP with 730 CD) I have noticed that after the upgrade, I have local area connection 1, local area connection 5 and HP Team. It used to be normal, local area connection 1, local area connection 2 and team.
Are there phantom NIC's in the registry? Would it cause a problem if I renamed the 2nd NIC back to local area connection 2? Or, does it matter?

4 REPLIES
Bruno Mesquita_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Local Area Connection 5

The name "Local Area Connection 5" normaly is an alias name for the operating system users. If you do not have software related with that name you can change it.

Regards
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Bruno is right we can rename it.
But still we can check it in registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\{7234F475-A651-4D0C-9C18-A8A8FBD766D2}\Connection
check for the key name under the following trees.

But i think changing to any name you want wont be harm.
Dont know the reason why it happened. But we can check the existance of any key under the registry in above path.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

That the way how OS detect NIC after they been Installed, if there was some initial problem with drivers installation, after restart it cause Detect NIC once again, however instead overwriting existing Registry it add next in the sequence number, not clear â for trucking reason? Microsoft people can answer that Q probably
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=116
Tony Davidson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick response folks it is much appreciated.. It is very interesting because this has happened to a few of our servers using 7.X teaming utility.