108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Location of Hot Spare

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lyman DeLiguori
Occasional Advisor

Location of Hot Spare

Does it matter which bay the Hot Spare goes into on a DL380-G3? If so, which bay?

I take that should the RAID 1+0 fail this Hot Spare will automatically be brought online?
16 REPLIES 16
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

You might want two for 1+0. The location does not matter. Make sure they are marked properly to fail over to that array. You can list them as global.
Lyman DeLiguori
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.

Marked properly where? In the config (F8) at boot where disks are setup it merely offers a choice of RAID and a checkbox if a spare is present or not.

Why would you recommend two drives as spares? The odds of both of the primaries failing would seem rather remote...
Mauricio Salas
Frequent Advisor

The bay doesnt matter, so go to the ACU and select the HDD that you want click on Spare management, and select the array, when a HDD fail it will start the rebuilding process automatically
Lyman DeLiguori
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much but a couple of quick questions.

This DL380-G3 is running Windows-7 Professional which is not a listed O/S. I would suspect that Server 2003 would be the most logical choice for the ACU.

Also, do you have a link to the ACU utility for the DL380-G3?

Many thanks again for your help.
Lyman DeLiguori
Occasional Advisor

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

The Array Configuration Utility CLI description:

The Array Configuration Utility CLI is a commandline-based disk configuration program for Smart Array Controllers and RAID Array Controllers.

There are other versions of the user interface.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

RAID 1+0 are installed in pairs. You would have an unusable slot with a single spare. So I usually populate RAID 10 or 1+0 in pairs.
Lyman DeLiguori
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Mike. So you're saying there should be one spare for each primary? (I.e., 2 Primary disks in RAID 1+0, and two Spares).

My thought was that if one of the primaries in the RAID 1+0 failed the single spare would be the failover point. No?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

In RAID, you don't have primary or secondary. All four drives work together. 1+0 means duplexing and striping. In SAS RAID 10, you duplex pairs of drives and then stripe the pairs. I do two spares because you add drives in pairs to RAID 1+0 or 10. You would have odd space not usable, if you fill out the enclosure. So I usually just add two spares and set them to global. You can't have too many spares or backups.