ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752577 Members
4104 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Logical unit expansion (Smart Array 641in ProLiant ML350 G4p / Redhat Linux RHES4)

Alfredo_20
Occasional Advisor

Logical unit expansion (Smart Array 641in ProLiant ML350 G4p / Redhat Linux RHES4)

I have a Proliant ML350 G4 box with a Smart Array 641 controller, so configured:

Arrays A: logical unit 1 (140006 MB, RAID 1+0)
Arrays B: logical unit 2 (69459 MB, RAID 1+0)

Now I added two 146GB disks (same size of two arrays A disks), and want to expand logical unit 1 moving it to RAID 5 protection.

In online ACU I see logical unit 1 and 2 'locked' (HP support told me that this is 'by project' because linux o.s. locks disk configuration - win does'nt).

What are the steps to do my job? If I try to use ACU wizard configuration, in the last step it says that some o.s. may require to reboot to execute expansion. And from HP manuals I can read that expansion need about 15 minutes for GB....

This is a production system, so I cannot take it off line for more that a couple of hours.

So is there a way to move raid 1+0 to raid 5?
Or my only chance is to add a third array with another 1+0 raid logical unit?

Every support welcome.

Alfredo
1 REPLY 1
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Re: Logical unit expansion (Smart Array 641in ProLiant ML350 G4p / Redhat Linux RHES4)

Ive only ever done this on Windows systems so it looks like you'll need to run ACU by booting off a SmartStart CD and doing it that way.

Unfortunately, this means the server will be offline for the entire time it takes to run!

Can you run it over a weekend (ie start it Friday night)

You MAY be able to start it off this way, then reboot and run the server, but I DONT KNOW THIS FOR CERTAIN.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon who knows a bit more about Linux...

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)