cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help troubleshooting my ever-freezing ML570 G3

Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Looking for help troubleshooting my ever-freezing ML570 G3

My ML570G3 with 16 meg of ram has been freezing up from time to time, about once a month, to the point that I have to hard reset it. Nothing shows up in the Event logs and there's no memory dump to search through.

The server is a file server and Veritas Backup Exec runs on it every night.

I can't figure out the best way to figure out what is freezing it up and forcing the shutdowns. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on the best way to preceed?
7 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for help troubleshooting my ever-freezing ML570 G3

How many times so fare ?
Any specific tie of day ?
Any ASR or only freeze ?
Latest and greatest Updates?? All ..
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

It happens roughly once a month, usually in the morning hours. We don't have ASR configured and it always freezes. Normally we'll find out about it because there's no access to the mapped drives on it. When we go to the console, it will either be a black screen, only the background or a frozen black screensaver.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

do you check the event log after the reboot ?
sometinmes starting computer management from another host and then connecting to the problem server at the time of problems shows some events that are not saved to disk. so the are lost after the reboot.

Pieter
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

As one of the other forum members had asked; have you applied the latest firmware (System, Array Controller, HDD, RILOE/iLO, NIC, etc.)? If you had to end up opening a call with HP tech support, that would probably be their first question to you anyway. What OS/SP are you running and is what function does the server support (application, database, file server, web...)?

If you have the Insight Agents installed, have you looked to see if any components are identified as degraded or in the Integrated Management Log to see if anything was captured there when the system freezes up?

Scott
Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the great suggestions and input. I didn't check the event logs, remotely, only after I rebooted the system. I wish I had! Sounds like it may have offered some clue or another.

The integrated mgmnt logs didn't reveal much of anything. In fact they were empty. Regarding software and the agents, everything is up to version 7.5 except the firmware for the array controllers. I'll upgrade them tonight and see if that can make a difference.

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

If problem related to firmware on the array controller? In your case is less likely

Any additional PCI cards ?
Memory ? Mix ? Brands ?

Make sure apply updates for Windows and Veritas, other Application

You have second server like that ?

Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Aside from the array controllers, there's nothing else 'extra' installed on this server. It's pretty new, only about 6 months in service. We've got 16GB of ram and it is our principle file server.

It's up to date, Windows Update wise and the most suspect app installed on it is the Veritas 10d client. We've had some problems in the past with Veritas causing problems so that may be the direction we'll look once we're all up to date on firmware.